Chapter 1

Edited: 7/31/2020

Tris POV: 

I wake up from a nightmare about Zeke leaving our faction. Today Zeke is choosing his faction. He got Dauntless on his test, but I'm still nervous he is going to leave. My family is Dauntless, but that doesn't mean there is no chance that someone in our family could leave. If I am being honest out of everyone I am the one who is the most likely to leave. I go to Uriah's room and see he is awake sitting up on his bed and staring at his wall. 

"Hey" I say. 

"Hey" He responds "Couldn't sleep either?" 

"No" I say "I'm just scared he is going to leave and he can say that he is going to stay, but I am just scared." 

"I know" He says.

And I know he does, but I am adopted and my family is dead except my biological brother Caleb. He went to live in Erudite with some distant family member. I didn't want to stay in Abnegation till choosing without him, so the Pedrad's adopted me. Which don't get me wrong I am grateful for, but I don't want to lose anymore family. 

I was really little when I lost my family, but I still don't want to lose anyone else. I don't remember what my birth family was like and honestly I am happy to be in Dauntless where I am able to be free. That doesn't mean I am happy my family is dead, but everything happens for a reason right? 

Uriah and I were born on the same day, so we tell everyone we are twins. I love my new family and I really don't want to lose Zeke he is a great older brother. Part of me wishes that I would have had a chance to get to know my biological older brother. As much as Zeke and Uriah are my family we never will be blood related.   

I go back to my room and put on a black crop top that exposes my shoulders and collarbone. I wear black skinny jeans with rips. I decide to keep my hair down today. I don't admit it very often, but I know I am pretty. I do some makeup. Mostly just eye makeup consisting of a smokey eye, mascara and eyeliner. Once I am already Uriah and I run down the stairs not bothering to be quiet.

 When we see Zeke come down the stairs we tackle him into a hug because no amount of assurance can ever really make us believe that he will stay in Dauntless. 

Uriah and I go to the dining hall to wait until the initiates come. After we eat we walk around and just hang out and we decide to go to the training room because we need something to take our minds off the fact that Zeke could be choosing to leave here right now.

We both are using the punching bags. I watch Uriah's form. He is stronger then me which I already know, but I can be faster and sometime I stand a chance if I strike the right way. 

I avoid throwing knives in front of Uriah. He doesn't know how and he thinks I don't either. I wanted to be better than him in as many ways as possible, so I learned to throw them when he wasn't around. 

 We would shoot guns, but we can't have any unless we are training. After a while we lost track of time and we see that Zeke should be at the dining hall by now if he did choose to stay in Dauntless. We both run there. I beat him he may have longer legs, but since I am smaller I am faster. 

I see Zeke sitting at a table. "Zeke." I scream and run to jump on him Uriah follows me and punches Zeke's arm. 

"Hey what was that for?" 

"Oh, for coming back."Uriah says and I laugh and sit down. Uriah does too and there's 2 other boys at the table and I don't recognize them, so they must have transferred.  Uriah doesn't either. 

"Who's that?" Uriah asks pointing at them. 

"That's the Stiff." The stiff looks up. "That's Eric." Zeke says pointing first at the Stiff and then the other guy who must be Eric.

"Yeah?" the Stiff says. I look at him his eyes are so blue and his hair is dark brown. He looks handsome. No I can't like him he is 16 he'll never like me. 

"What's your name?" I ask. 

He doesn't say anything for a second. He doesn't look upset, but just thinking. "You can call me Stiff for all I care." 

I drop the subject and the Stiff looks over at Zeke and asks him how he knows us "This is Uriah my little brother and his Twin Tris my sister." The Stiff nods and returns to eating his food. He eats his hamburger a little weird, but he probably hasn't had one before because he is from a selfless faction who find good food unnecessary. Eric on the other hand looks natural and doesn't seem to mind that the Stiff is hiding his name from us.  

 "Oh and don't get any ideas with my sister you come near her I will break you." Zeke says looking mostly at Eric when he says this, but makes sure the Stiff gets told too.

After we finish eating and say bye to Zeke, Uriah and I walk back to our apartment without Zeke because he will be staying in the dorms. Uriah says "It's gonna be weird with Zeke not living with us." 

"Yeah" I agree "I'm just happy he chose Dauntless." Uriah nods. We both go to our own rooms. I sit on my bed after changing into some shorts and a t-shirt. I am glad Zeke chose Dauntless. My thoughts shift to the Stiff and I think about how he didn't tell us his name. He doesn't want to tell us which I guess is okay, but for what reason does he want to leave who he was behind.

***********************************************************************************************

Thanks for reading!!! Comment and Vote!! :) Please give me any Ideas you have.

-Addison