Chapter 24

Edited: 8/10/2020

Four POV: 

Stage one has ended. Tris is in first of course. I am very proud of her, but I feel very bad about what Marlene did to her and how she lied to her about it. So, I am going to take her on a date tonight. We haven't been able to hang out very much because of her training and then all her family trouble. After our date though I am going to show her my fear lanscape. It has changed though. It used to be Heights, Confinment, Killing the innocent, and Marcus. But the fears have changed since me and Tris got together.

She doesn't know my real name which makes me feel guilty all the time. I am such a hypocrite. I got mad at her the other day because she wasn't opening up to me yet I have kept my real name from her for 2 years. I only hope she understands why I did. I am happy she has made some new friends even if it's the Candor who can't shut her mouth.

I know she gets up early and goes to her family's apartment to get ready. I bet she went even earlier today to get away from Marlene. On top of that her own brother didn't believe her at first. I reach the door and knock. A minute later she opens the door. She looks amazing. Her hair is down today since we have a break between stage one and two and she doesn't have to do anything today. 

"Hey." I say. 

"Hey." She smiles. "Come in." She opens the door. I walk in and she says "Give me like two minutes to finish getting ready" then she runs up the stairs.

A couple minutes later she comes back wearing some light makeup. What's nice about her is she doesn't have to wear makeup to look great. She does look amazing without any. "You look great." I say to her. 

"Thank you." She says. 

"Whatcha doing today?" I ask her. 

"I was gonna go with Christina to get a piercing and maybe redo my hair or something." She says. "Do you wanna come with?" She asks. 

"No I'm good. I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date tonight?" 

She smiles wider. "Of course. What time?" 

"Around 6." I say. Her smile drops a little and I get nervous. "What's wrong?" I ask. 

"Chris is gonna make me shop all day now." She says laughing. I laugh a little. 

"I'll see you soon and have fun." I say. She kisses me bye and then I head out to set up our date.

On the way to the train tracks I run into Marlene. Of course I do. "Whoops sorry Four." She says smiling. How can she smile after what she did to Tris and lied to her boyfriend. 

"It's fine Marlene." I say. She looks at me. "What?" I ask. 

"Nothing. What are you doing today?" She asks. 

"I'm going on a date with Tris." I say. She nods. Then I add "You know what you said really hurt her, but what hurt her more is when you lied to make her look bad after not being there for her." 

She looks down and then she says "I know. I regret saying it. I just feel like everything is about her and she is still better then me even when she is doing terrible." 

"Well I'm sure if you were her you would want your friends to be there for you and losing your parents and finding out your first ones didn't care enough about you to keep you. To find out you birth brother killed your mom after your last conversation was an argument for a party you and your best friend wanted. Having a friend backstab you like that would feel great right?" I say and I walk away before she can respond.

How can she be upset that her best friend is doing good. On top of that how could she think that Tris wouldn't want to have a normal family situation. I roll my eyes and get on a train getting our date set up. I hope it cheers Tris up a little bit.