Chapter 22

Edited: 8/10/2020

Tris POV: 

It's been a couple days since my mom died. I didn't go to the dinner on Saturday with my birth mom and she said she understands that I need time. It just hurts knowing I lost both of the parents who really did care about me. But I am determined to make it into Dauntless. I need to show everyone even through what I have gone through I am still strong. Today are the fights.

Dauntless-borns won't be fighting transfers, but the fights will occur in the same room and they will be alternating. I wonder who I will be fighting today.  When I walk into the room I see luck is not on my side. I will be fighting my best friend Marlene. Of course it has to be in front of all the transfers too. I have so much anger in myself I hope I don't hurt her. 

I am the third fight. The first one Is Uriah against Lynn. The second are some on the transfers Will and Al. I hope Will wins. Al couldn't really get punished for punching me and knockin me out because that happens in Dauntless often. I am still mad if he hadn't hurt me I wouldn't have lost my mom. 

I don't really pay any attention to the fights before me. I know that Uriah beat Lynn and Al beat Will. Sadly. Now it is my turn. Marlene and me look at each other and have a conversation with our eyes. No hard feelings is what we say to each other. 

Lauren says "Start." I see her and Four talking to each other. Me and him haven't talked lately with everything that has been going on. I feel jealous seeing him talk to her. I know I shouldn't be because he is with me and he wouldn't cheat.

I leave my thoughts when I get punched in the jaw. I remember I should be fighting right now. I shake my head. I know I can beat Marlene and I do plan on winning I need to show everyone that I am still strong. I just don't want to hurt Marlene in the process. She comes in for another punch and I sidestep her and then sweep her legs out from underneath her. 

She scrambles back onto her feat as she is doing so I get a punch in at her gut. She takes in a sharp breath and turns to me. I fake a punch at her jaw, but instead I kick her side she almost falls over, but she regains balance and kicks my side and punches my neck. I lose my breath, but I kick her feet out again and this time she hits her head on the ground and goes unconscious. Oh no. I run to her side and shake her. She doesn't wake up. Uriah comes over and helps me get her to the infirmary. 

When we get her there they lay her on a bed and say she is just knocked out and she should wake up soon. I nod and me and Uriah leave. I can't help, but feel like she will be mad at me when she wakes up. 

As if he read my mind Uriah says "Don't worry she won't be mad. You guys are best friends and one of you were going to have to lose. And I think she knows that Tris Pedrad does not lose." 

I nod. "Thanks Uri." 

"Of course." 

"Do you want to go back?" He asks. 

"Not really." We turn and smile to each other and then we take off running to the Pit. We get to the shop we need and then we get to paintball guns and ammo. We walk to an empty hallway.

"You know we are gonna get in trouble for not going back." I say. 

"I know, but we both did our fights already and what's the worse they could do." He says. 

I nod and then we say together. "3...2...1 Go!" We turn and run opposite ways down the hallway, but before he can turn the corner I shoot and hit his arm and then I run. I take a couple of turns and I reach another hallway. I need to think of a strategy. Where would Uriah go? Somewhere he would think I would not check. He won't be patient enough for me to come to him though. He will come out after a few minutes so there isn't much point in search all over the Dauntless compound.