Chapter 16

Edited: 8/10/2020

Four POV:

I know that Tris likes me. I know that Marlene told Tris that I like her. I know that Marlene knows where Tris is hiding, but she won't tell me. I don't know what I will end up saying to Tris. We are still in the living room waiting. It is only 5, but it feels like we have been waiting all night.

I feel bad too because I feel like I hurt her by getting a girlfriend. She can't be to mad though. She had 2 boyfriends in front of me. If we start dating though I can't be jealous or cheat on her not that I would do those things, but I know Tris has been hurt before. 

Tris POV: 

I need to get out of the Chasm and see them because if I want to play it off on working on Uriah's birthday suprise I cannot be here all night. I get up and walk towards the exit with the stairs. I know Four likes me, but I still have no idea what to say to him. I mean how do I explain that I have had 2 boyfriends since I have met him, but yet I like him. 

                      ******************

When I reach my apartment I see the gang inside sitting on the living room floor. They aren't talking which makes me feel worse, but I have to show them nothing is wrong even if it isn't wrong anymore. 

"Tris!" Uriah yells standing up. "Where were you?" He asks.

"I told you I was setting up your birthday suprise." I say ancting a little confused. I look at Marlene and shake my head because I don't want her to tell them that I was hiding. It's a secret that I would like to keep.  "Do you wanna see it?" I ask.

"Yes." He says, but he does not seem fully convinced that I was off doing his birthday present. 

"Follow me."I say and everyone does. I lead them to the far corner of the Pit that is mostly hidden. I have a chair sitting there. "Sit down Uriah." I say.

"Is the chair going to break when I sit on it?" He asks. 

"No, a birthday present is different then a prank." I say rolling my eyes. 

"Okay." He says and he sits on the chair. 

"I don't know how much you'll like the first part, but I know you will love the second part." I say.

"That does not make me feel any better." He says. 

I pull the rope by the chair and Dauntless cake comes falling out and lands on him covering him and the ground in it. I smile and he has a look of horror on his face. 

"You wasted Dauntless cake!!" He says looking at me. 

"I know, I know, but here is the second part." I say and I go to the box and pull out a giant Dauntless cake. "This is all for you." I say.

"I'm good now." He says eyeing his cake. I hand it to him, but he doesn't eat it yet. I don't blame him I would save it for later too. 

Marlene comes over to me and whispers, "You weren't setting up his suprise though. Are you going to tell them?" She asks. 

"No, please don't tell them either." I ask her whispering too.

"I won't, but Four does know that you like him." She whispers to me. 

"What?!" I ask.

"Yeah, but that is a good things because you both know that you care about each other." She responds. 

"That does not make me feel any better." I say. "What about his girlfriend?" I ask. 

"They broke up when everyone was looking for you." Marlene says. 

"Wait really?" I ask. 

"Yeah, she was saying bad things about you and Four didn't let her. Now they are done, but you better make sure you guys talk because both of you need to stop avoiding each other." Marlene says. 

"I know, I know. Thanks Marlene." I say and she nods to me and goes over to Uriah. She scoops up some frosting with her finger. 

"Hey." Uriah says to her. "It is my cake." 

"And I am your girlfriend, so you better share." Marlene says scolding him jokingly. 

"A little bit." Uriah concedes. I roll my eyes, but I think he is happy with his birthday suprise. 

"Let's go back to the apartment." Zeke says. 

"Yeah, it is kinda boring standing here and watching Uriah look at his cake." Lynn says. 

Uriah stands up with his cake and holds in carefully. They all start walking back and I follow behind, but Four stops me. 

"Can we talk?" He asks. 

"Sure."I say and I feel nervous. I know I am Dauntless, but I would rather jump off one of our moving trains then talk. 

"Lily and I broke up." He says and he looks at me. 

"Oh no. " I say deciding to let him explain. "What happened?" I ask.

"While you were setting up Uriah's birthday suprise we were looking for you and she wanted to just hang out..." He starts thinking about what to say, "I told her we were looking for you and long story short she was not happy about that." 

"I'm sorry." I say quickly. I feel guilty even though I like him. He let me date and I kinda ruined his relationship.

"No it's okay. In truth is she doesn't trust me I don't want to date her. Kinda like what happened with you and Micheal." He says. 

"I wanna show you something." I say and I grab his hand and pull him with me. He rubs his thumb on the back od my hand and now I understand why people hold hands. I lead him to the Chasm spot I like. 

"Wow." He says. "This is cool." he says.

"Yeah. I found it a long time ago." I say. "Four, I know I am younger and immature sometimes and there is no reason you should like me, but I like you." I say and even though he likes me I realize he doesn't have to be with me. 

He leans down and kisses me. "But there are many reasons why I should." He says.

I shake my head. "I should have told you a long time ago." I say.

"I think we both messed up a lot." He says. It makes me feel better to know that he liked me for a while too. 

"You know we are going to have to tell my brothers because they will kill me if I hide this from them." I say. 

"I know." He says. "Let's wait a minute though." I smile. After all this time we are together. But life here isn't about finding someone to date and being the perfect person. It is about being free and doing things like a Dauntless.  

***********************************************************************************************

Hey guys!! Thanks so much for reading. I know the chapter is short. They will be longer when Tris's initiation starts. Also I am planning on doing one more chapter and then getting into her initiation. 

Don't forget to comment your thoughts. Thanks again.

-Addison :)