Chapter 6

Edited: 8/01/2020

Tris POV:
I break away from this kiss with Micheal because I hear foot steps walking away. Was someone watching us? 

"What's wrong?" Micheal asks me. 

"I thought I heard someone." 

"Oh it's fine we're dating we can kiss." He says. I know, but do I want to be in a relationship with him? Being with him just doesn't feel right.  

"Yeah I guess." He pulls me in for another kiss. I don't want to kiss him right now. 

I peck him and say "I'm gonna go home I'm tired."

 "Okay." He says looking a little hurt. I hug him and walk to my apartment.

I see my mom making popcorn and Zeke and Uriah are picking out games. I love nights like this where we play games and watch a movie as a family. After our dad died it had been hard, but I love nights like these.

The next morning I wake up and I remember there's no training today because it's a visiting day. I spend the morning with my mom and brothers, but afterwards I go for a walk. I see the Stiff sitting alone by the chasm. I walk over and sit by him. 

"Hey." I say. 

"Hey" he responds. 

"Not a fan of visiting days?" I say as a statement even though it's meant to be a question. 

"Not really" he says. There's an awkward silence. 

"Well I guess I'll go now." I say wanting to give him space because he seems to like being alone.

About to get up, but he looks at me. "No you don't have to leave sorry." He says "It's just I don't really have a family to have visit me I mean my mom died when I was little and me and my dad don't get along." He says. 

I don't want to be rude so I say "It's okay you can hang out with my family anytime." I say 

"Thank you." He says, but the way he says it you can tell he doesn't feel much better.

Against my better judgement I hug him and he stiffens and then he relaxes. I laugh. "Your always so stiff." 

He laughs "people don't usually hug in Abnegation." 

"I know, here in Dauntless friends hug." I turn and our eyes meet. His are a very dark blue and gorgeous. No I can't look at him anymore than a friend, because that's all we are and always will be and besides I have a boyfriend and he would never like me anyways. But we keep looking at each other. 

Something might happen, but then Micheal says "Tris? What's going on?" I look over at Micheal and back at the Stiff. Micheal started to walk away. 

"Micheal nothing's going on he's just a friend." I yell and run after him. 

I catch up to him and grab his arm. "Nothing was happening." I say. 

"Really? That's why you guys were sitting together." 

"Yeah Micheal! We are friends nothing more." I yell and I am sure the Stiff can hear me, but I don't have time to feel bad about it now. 

"I don't believe you." He says, but do I even believe me? I know he doesn't like me, but yesterday I decided I was okay if the Stiff were to date someone. 

 "Wow, well I don't want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't trust me bye Micheal." I walk away. Then I go to the training room to blow of some steam. The Stiff's in there. I want to walk away, but for some reason I ended up going in there anyway.

"Hey." He says. 

"Hi." I respond I don't know what to say. 

"Are you and Micheal good?"He asks. I know he is only asking because he feels guilty and wants me to reassure him not because he cares. I know he doesn't.

 "Not really, I broke up with him he didn't trust me and I don't really like him that much." He looks shocked and then guilty. Confirming what I thought.

"I'm sorry it's my fault we were talking and I shouldn't have been you have a boyfriend." 

"No I should be able to talk to friends and if Micheal isn't okay with that then I don't want to be in a relationship with him." 

"Oh" is what he says.

I go over to the knives and start throwing them and I hit the dead center every time. "Wow" he says and I realize the initiates haven't learned that yet. I taught myself so even Uriah and Zeke don't know how to do that. 

"Oh, You guys haven't learned this yet." I laugh. "I can teach you." I offer to him. 

"Sure." I demonstrate how to do it and help him line up. 

I adjust him. I notice his hands are awkward so I grab his right hand to adjust it. It feels different though when I hugged him a couple of minutes ago it didn't feel like this. I am looking at him and he's looking at me and we are looking at each other like we were at the chasm. What is even going on? I need to figure this out.  While looking into his eyes I fix his hands and back away. 

I say "um.. you can try it now." He nods and throws he hits the middle really close to dead center. "That was really good for your first try." 

"Thanks, but I have a good teacher." I laugh. He keeps throwing and I throw them at my own target.

After a while he says "thanks for teaching me, I think I'm going to to and get dinner now. Do you want to come?" 

"Sure." We walk to the dining hall and are usual table is empty it is a little late for dinner so we sit and we sit eat. We talk about training. After I say "I bet Zeke and Uriah would like it if you came over." 

"Okay sure." He says.

We walk to my apartment. I go inside with the Stiff behind me. "Tris." Uriah says "wait what were you doing with him." 

"Oh we were just training." I say. 

"Yeah I was cheering her up because she dumped her boyfriend." He says trying to make it more of a normal thing when I know he still feels guilty. 

 "What?!" Zeke and Uriah shout. 

"Yeah he was jealous I was talking to the Stiff and he got angry and said he didn't trust me so I told him I didn't want to be in a relationship with him." I say rolling my eyes. I am still mad. 

"Oh why was he jealous of Stiff?"Uriah asks looking at us almost like he is accusing us. 

"Because we were sitting down talking like friends do and he got mad." 

"Oh ok." Uriah says I can't tell he doesn't believe me. Do I believe me?

"Hey tomorrow let's play candor or dauntless." Zeke says. 

"Yeah." I say "Wait oh no Shauna is going to make me go shopping." I laugh. "Well goodnight boys."  When I get upstairs and am laying in my bed I think about today. I am happy Micheal and I broke up, but I am still not sure how I feel about the Stiff. When I helped him with his throwing maybe the only reason it felt like something was because I had just broke up with Micheal. 

Yeah. I nod to myself. I am Dauntless and I am not going to worry about guys when I should just get to have fun and be me. 

***********************************************************

Hey guys thanks for reading hope you enjoyed!

-Addison :)