Chapter 18

Edited: 8/10/2020

Tris POV:

Today me and Uriah went to school to take our Aptitude tests. (Just know they have been going to school, but there was no school during initiation time. I also didn't include it, but they have been at school.) I am sitting in the cafeteria with Uriah, Lynn and Marlene. We are talking and goofing around. We are not nervous we are ready and we are Dauntless. As I look around the tables. All the Amity are sitting playing a game with there hands. The Candor are having a debate. Erudite are reading. And the Abnegation are sitting there silent.

We are all different, but Dauntless is where I feel like I belong. Part of me is nervous for the test because I know I have lived in Dauntless for my whole life and my home is there. I'm scared the test is going to tell me something different. Then me and Uriah both get called. My hands are sweaty so I wipe them on my jeans. I walk into the room and my testing administrator is an Abnegation. "Hello, please take a seat my name is Natalie." She looks familiar. I nod though and sit like she told me to.  

She hands me a cup with a liquid in it. "Drink this." She says kindly. I nod. 

"What is it?"I ask.

 "I'm sorry, I can't tell you, but please trust me." I nod and I start to drink it. This lady feels super familiar. A couple seconds after I finish the cup. My eyes close and when they open I am back in the cafeteria. All the tables are now empty and I see through the glass walls and it is snowing. The table in front of me has two baskets. One with a hunk of cheese and the other with a knife. 

I am Dauntless and I am supposed to grab the knife. But I want to know what it is for before I just grab it. Behind me a women's voice says "Choose." 

"Why." I call out. 

"Choose." The voice says again. I look around and no one is there. 

"What will I do with them?" I know it wouldn't be smart too grab one without knowing what they are for. 

"Choose." She yells. I cross my arms. "Have it your way." They both disappear and a large vicious dog appears. 

I am suddenly glad I didn't choose the knife I couldn't hurt an animal that has done nothing to anyone. He comes running at me and I hide behind a table. I need to do something. I remember reading in a text book that kneeling to a dog is a sign of submission. I come out from behind the table and kneel to the dog. The dog licks my face and seems like a happy puppy now. I get up slowly so I don't startle it. Then a child calls out from across the room "Puppy."  The dog starts to growl. It is about to pounce on her and without thinking I hurl my body on top of the dog.

Then my head hits the ground. I lift myself and I am on a bus. I stand on the aisle holding a pole. I don't remember the last time I was on a bus. A guy points to a newspaper and asks "Do you know this guy?"  The newspaper has a  headline "Brutal Murder Finally Apprehended." Below the headline with a picture of a man I feel like I recognize. "Well? Do you." The man asks again. I don't think I should tell the guy that I recognize the man. 

I clear my throat. "Do you?" I shrug my shoulders. "Well?" 

"Nope" I say "No idea who he is." 

The guy looks at me and says "Your lying, your lying." He says. 

"I am not." I say. 

"I can see it in your eyes." I pull myself up straight. 

"You can't." 

"If you know him you could save me. You could save me!" He says. 

"Well I don't."

I wake up to sweaty palms and dread in my stomach. I look over at the Abnegation women named Natalie. She starts to type something into the computer. "I'll be right back." She hurries out the door. A couple of minutes she comes back in. "Sorry to worry you." She says. She looks very tense. "Tris, your results were inconclusive." She says. What does that mean. "Typically each stage of the simulation eliminates one or more of the factions. But in your case only two have been ruled out." 

"Two?" I ask. She explains to me why I didn't get the results of the different factions. Then she tells me. 

"You got Abnegation, Dauntless and Erudite." I nod, but my body feels tense. "I suggest you go home and think, just tell people the serum made you sick." 

"I have to tell my brother where I am going." 

"I will tell him." I nod and leave.

How could I not belong to Dauntless I think while I sit on the train. I would do anything to stay in Dauntless it's my home. Why did that lady look so familiar. I don't know how long I was on the train it must have been hours because I see a bunch of the Dauntless from school get on to go back home. Uriah sees me and comes over. "Hey where did you go?" He asks. 

"I uh-" I don't want to lie to him. "Sit down." I say. He does. 

"What were your test results?" I ask him. I know we aren't actually blood related, but I want to know if he is Divergent too.

His face shows a little worry and he says really quietly. "They were inconclusive." I nod 

"Mine too." We sit the rest of the way in silence and we get off when we get to the compound. When we get home our mom tells us that we are having a guest for dinner and to go and get ready. We both nod and I race upstairs and I get ready. At 5:30 I hear the doorbell ring. My mom answers it and says "Thank you so much for coming." I walk downstairs and Zeke and Uriah are sitting in the living room. We all walk into the kitchen and I see the lady who did my test today.

"Who's this?" Uriah asks. 

"This is Natalie Prior." My mom says. Prior. That was my birth families name. 

"Prior?" Zeke asks. My mom nods and then I realize who that is and why she looked so familiar. 

"Are you my..." I trail off. 

And my mom has tears in her eyes and I look back at Natalie and she says "Yes, Beatrice I am your birth mom." 

***********************************************************************************************

Hey guys!! Hope you liked it and the cliffhanger.

Don't forget to comment and vote. 

-Addison :)