2

¤ Wasting My Young Years
London Grammar

Don't you know that it's only fear
I wouldn't worry, you have all your life
I've heard it takes some time to get it right
I'm wasting my young years

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

"Are there any other contracts I can get on, Joon? I'll take anything."

"Sorry, Kook," Kim Namjoon said while shaking his head, "there aren't any other jobs that'd work with your current hours."

Jeon Jungkook ran a weary hand through his hair, the sweat slicked strands pushing off his forehead. "Is there any way you could adjust my schedule?"

A strong hand patted him on the back. "You know getting this building up is the main project we have now. I need you here and not hopping around to smaller sites."

Both Jungkook and his supervisor, Namjoon, were placed on this particular project just a couple months ago. They were constructing a new academic hall at one of the country's most prestigious universities, working long and trying days to finish on schedule. It was grueling and tiring, but the pay was better than anything else Jungkook could find nowadays.

"Okay," Jungkook responded to Namjoon, who had also become a close friend since joining the construction company roughly a year back. "If anything changes, though, let me know."

"I will, Kook. If you're strapped, you can always apply to be a barista. That cafe we like in the campus library is hiring," Namjoon offered, taking a quick break from his current task.

Jungkook nodded, filing away that piece of information for later. In a perfect world, he'd find a second job closer to home, but at this point he'd take what he could get. When it came to finding additional sources of income, there wasn't much Jungkook would dismiss if it meant improving his current financial situation.

"Why don't you go now?"

Jungkook looked at Namjoon in confusion.

"Go apply for that barista position now," Namjoon clarified with a friendly smile. "You're due for a break anyway."

"Really? Okay!" The younger of the two exclaimed, running his hands over his clothes. That made him freeze. "Oh. Maybe later. I don't have anything that's not dirty or looks remotely put together."

Namjoon signaled to follow him to his truck, rummaging through the backseat once they got there. The elder pulled out a gray long sleeve dress shirt and thrust it in Jungkook's direction.

The younger speculated the clothing item for a moment, the corners of his mouth tilting upwards. "Why does a construction worker like you have a shirt as nice as this in his truck? Is it related to you dying your hair purple?"

"Whatever my reasons, be grateful, kid. That shirt is going to help get you another job." The supervisor also fished out a small drawstring bag and gave it to the boy. "Find a bathroom and freshen up. The last thing the cafe will want is your sweat smelling up their ambiance."

Jungkook made his way to the library, a little self-conscious wearing his orange safety vest and worn jeans. The students at this university were generally well off, toting brand name bags and designer clothing. While some people did get into this school due to scholastic merit, many students' families bought their children's way in.

Those without means tended to be looked down upon. He should know. He used to go here after all.

A common bathroom was situated at the front of the library, a ways away from the popular cafe. Jungkook entered, setting down Namjoon's bag on the counter and opening it wide. Inside, he found various grooming products: towelettes, deodorant, cologne, and more. Taking a slight whiff of himself, Jungkook knew he'd need to use them all.