7

¤ Colder Heavens
Blanco White ↲

In every corridor that shifted the maze
No single part of you was ever the same
Now we're so tired by the things we have seen
All we've forgotten only visits in dream

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

"Jungkook?" A voice called out. "Are you finally home?"

Jungkook walked to the kitchen and found his mother at the table, a cup of tea clutched in her hands. Her shoulders were slumped forward in exhaustion. Streaks of gray that weren't there a year ago shone under the light.

"Hey, Mom," he said, sitting across from her. "How was the day?"

She raised her chin to assess him, eyes scanning over each of his features fleetingly. A heavy sigh left her mouth. "I don't know. It was a day."

Those vague types of comments were normal for her and they drove Jungkook crazy. He wanted to know specifics and to be filled in on whatever he missed when he was gone. But it always seemed his mother didn't care about his need for every little piece of information. If he started to ask too many questions, she'd just start screaming at him.

So he jammed his hands in his pockets, knowing better.

"Why were you late?" She questioned, taking a sip of her steaming hot beverage.

"I was locking down the details for another job," he responded, staying away from the particulars. Telling her he was a nude model wouldn't make either of them happy, so he refrained from elaborating further. He wasn't in the mood for a lecture nor did he have enough energy for an argument tonight.

A line etched between her brows. "Another job? What is that . . . three now? Jungkook . . ."

"It's not like I work all these jobs for the fun of it," Jungkook declared openly, pinching the bridge of his nose. "But we both know I don't have a choice. Dad's off at the factory earning nothing and you're -"

"Don't you dare start with me, Jungkook," his mother interrupted, her fingers curling tightly around the mug. "I'm doing the best I can. We all are."

His tired mind was telling him to stop, but his rising anger needed an outlet. So much for no arguments. "Clearly it's not enough! We're drowning here and yet the bills keep coming in. So I will get as many jobs as it takes to keep us hanging on."

They regarded each other in silence, both trying to reign in their emotions. Little arguments like this happened a couple times a week, not because they were bitter people but because they were just so damn tired. Jungkook appreciated everything his mother did for his family and he knew he did a shitty job of letting her know. So he always tried to make up for his behavior by working harder to get them out of this hole they found themselves in.

His mother exhaled a shakey breath, tears brimming in her eyes. "You're doing so much already, Kookie. I just don't want you to get burnt out. Or to resent us all. The sacrifices you made have not been easy or fair. And I hate that we're putting you through this. You've already given up enough."

Jungkook reached out his hand, clasping his mother's once she took hold of it. "Hey, don't make me a victim here. I volunteered to do this because our family means more than anything to me. You know I'd give up much more."

"I just wish you didn't have to," she cried, her voice broken and hoarse. "You once had so many dreams. So much talent . . ."

His throat started to burn as he watched her break down. Seeing his mother cry was one of the most painful things to witness. "It's okay, Mom. Why don't you go to sleep? I'll finish up things tonight."