35

¤ You There
Aquilo

You there, you're better off here
Funny it takes no time to fall back down
Funny it takes the time to get back up

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

"This car is so fancy. No wonder my brother likes you."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that," Taehyung said to Juyeon, who was fiddling with all the buttons on his car's dashboard.

The radio turned on, soft music filling the small space of the car. "Lighten up, TaeTae. It's a joke. We all know the real reason Kookie likes you."

Taehyung laughed, curious to hear her perspective. "Alright, then. What's the real reason? Is it because of my smile? Or maybe my eyes?"

"It's nothing superficial, Tae," Juyeon tutted, almost like she expected him to know better. "It's because you're a good person. You care about him and me, Mom and even Dad. He's never had someone like that and you make him really smiley all the time. But it doesn't hurt that you're hot, I guess."

Taehyung smiled softly at her assessment, happy to have the approval of Jungkook's sister. "That was sweet. Do you know why I like your brother?"

"Because of me, obviously."

"Obviously," he agreed with a smile, nodding his head along to the music. "You are one smart person, Juyeon."

The ride to the doctor's office went by quickly, even though it was almost an hour away from the Jeons' house. It was so easy talking with Juyeon, as she always had some sort of commentary to add to any topic. And Taehyung loved spending this one on one time with her, too. He truly saw her as more than his boyfriend's little sister.

Taehyung saw Juyeon as a friend.

They were maybe fifteen minutes away from the doctor, singing along to songs on the radio at the top of their lungs, when Taehyung reached out and lowered the volume.

"Rude," Juyeon said, already moving to turn it back up.

"Hey, stop!" Taehyung laughed, swatting her hand away while trying to keep his eyes on the road. "Am I going to have to put you in the backseat on the way back to your house?"

She scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest in irritation. "I'm not some child, you know."

No, Juyeon proved time and time again that she was more mature and aware than a child.

"I just wanted to ask you about your appointment," he explained, setting both hands back on the wheel. He flipped down the sun visor as the early afternoon sun streamed into his line of sight. "What typically happens?"

"It's a pretty routine thing. Taking my vitals. Blood work. Making sure Kookie's kidney isn't crapping out on me. You know, that sort of thing. I usually don't have these appointments too often, but since my last infection, I have to go in more than before."

Taehyung hummed in acknowledgement as he switched lanes. When he checked the right mirror, he caught a glimpse of Juyeon's face, which was looking rather glum. It was uncharacteristic.

"Are you nervous?" He asked, glancing between her and the road.

She quickly caught his gaze, shaking her head and smoothing her features with a smile. "Me? Nope. There's nothing to be nervous about. This is an easy check up, and besides, I'm healthier than ever. Don't worry about me, TaeTae. Worry about what you're going to do sitting in the waiting room for an hour."