30 - That's my girl

●●●

●●●

The house is eerily quiet today.

Why is there no bickering and laughter of Em and Tan or barks of Whiskey? Groggily, I step out of my bed from my nap and walk outside, raking my fingers through my hair. I walk down the stairs, to see that the living room is empty, no one's here. Where's everyone? I walk into the kitchen to fetch myself a glass of water to see Martha against the stove, preparing something.

"Martha?" I say, to capture her attention.

I hear her gasp, the spatula falling from her hands onto the counter top. I stifle a chuckle.

She turns around, looking at me with narrowed eyes. "I swear one day you are going to kill me with your sneaking abilities."

"Sorry." I'm not sorry at all.

She rolls her eyes at me. "Do you need something?"

"A glass of water." I tell her, and walk past her to pour myself some water into the glass. "Also, where is everyone? Tanner, Em, dad and Whiskey? The house is so quiet."

"Emilia has gone to meet her friend Kelsey, Tanner said that he'll be back in a few hours and Whiskey is with your dad, in his room." She tells me.

"Oh." I nod, finishing the glass of water in one go.

"I'm gonna go sit with dad and Whiskey till dinner." I inform her.

Before I can leave, she stops me. "While you're at it, ask your father to eat something. He hasn't eaten anything since last night."

"Oh, okay." I nod. That's not like dad at all. I wonder what happened.

I sprint out of the kitchen, straight upstairs. I open my father's room door to see that all the lights are off and Whiskey and dad are sitting on his bed, both still.

"Dad?" I call out softly.

He doesn't respond but Whis perks up at my voice. Slowly, I enter his room, shutting the door behind me. I sit in front of him. My eyes fall on a frame in his hand. It's a picture of mom and dad when they were in high school. Mom's laughing, looking at the camera but dad's smiling at mom. I've always loved this picture so much. There's pure love in the picture.

I shake my dad's shoulder to make him look at me. He lifts his head up and locks his eyes with me. I gasp when I notice his red, puffy eyes. Dad's been crying. On my god.

I take the picture from his hands, putting it in my lap. "Dad, what happened? Please talk to me."

"I miss her, honey. I miss your mom." He whispers, tears falling from his eyes. Seeing my dad like this, breaking apart, vulnerable, makes my heart ache.

A drop of tear falls on the frame making me realize that I'm crying too. I wipe them away and then place the picture carefully on it's designated place, next to dad's pillow.