36 - She was my first love

●●●

●●●

We enter the crowded cafeteria a little late.

Faye walks along with me as I spot my friends sitting at their usual table, laughing and talking. But Neil stands out, his face holding a sad expression. He's not usually this quiet whenever we are all together but I guess his encounter with Faye today affected him too.

Faye grabs my arm, stopping me. "Are you sure I should join you guys?"

"Of course, you know how they all are, right? They won't judge you, I promise." I assure her, pulling her with me. She keeps quiet, her steps matching with mine. When we reach our table, Bruce is the first person to notice us.

"There she - Faye?" Bruce's voice changes from delight to shock in a matter of milliseconds. His mouth opens wide, eyes shocked to the core.

Everyone looks at us, someone in astonishment but the girls are mostly smiling softly.

Abruptly, Neil stands up, scraping his chair against the floor which makes a squeaking sound. "What the fuck is this, Lydia?"

I feel Faye stepping ahead. "I wanted to talk to you, Neil."

His eyes turn icy cold, teeth gritting with anger and annoyance. "You had no right to do this." He yells and walks out of the cafeteria, leaving all of us dumbfounded.

"See, I told you. He hates me." Faye whispers, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. I turn around to see her taking a step back.

"You stay here and wait till I get his ass right back." I affirm, and walk out of the cafeteria but get stopped my Ashton.

"He will be in the music room." He tells me. I give him a small thankful smile, walking towards my destination. It doesn't take me long to reach the music room. I open the door to find Neil perched up against the piano, arms crossed against his chest, eyes dull and distant as they stare out of the widnow, deep in thought.

"Neil?" I hesitate for a second. This place is like a safe haven for him, like a safety blanket, so I don't think that I should go in just yet.

"You can come in." He whispers, not looking at me. I sigh in relief and enter inside, closing the door behind me. I stand next to him, admiring the scenic beauty, the view from the window offers.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude and cold towards you. It's just that seeing, her, there, it just messed up my mind." He tilts his neck to look at me, apology clear in his eyes and words.