37 - That's our best friend

●●●

●●●

I'm nervous.

I've been practicing running long distances from the past few days, always finding ways to walk instead of using my car, for instead, I jogged to the grocery store instead of driving, ran to school every morning instead of taking a lift from Tanner or Ridge. I've been working really hard to win this.

I sigh loudly, putting on my running shoes. Ridge barges in the girls locker room, making everyone present here including me gasp in surprise. He ignores the stares and strides towards me, a bright smile on his face. "Hey baby, you ready?"

I give him a nervous smile, nodding my head. "I guess I am."

"You sound nervous." He murmurs, taking a step forward, holding my hand in his. "Don't tell me that you're getting cold feet."

I roll my eyes, giving him a determined grin. "Lydia Herrington never backs down from a challenge honey."

"I know." He smirks, encircling his arms around my waist, pulling me close. "I know it very well."

I throw my arms around his neck. "So, why are you here? You know that it's the girls locker room, right?"

"Do you really think that it can stop me from coming to you? To make sure that you're all prepared and alright?" He raises an eyebrow at me. "You've been running around every where these past few days. And today is the day you can prove yourself to the entire school. So, I wanted to wish you all the best."

I give him a cheeky grin, pressing my lips to his. He smiles against my mouth, kissing me back softly, savoring the moment. I don't care about the girls in the room, watching us not so subtly, because I have this boy in my arms.

I pull away, biting my lip nervously. "I'm scared though. What if I don't win?"

"The Lydia I know never loses. The Lydia I know always wins, be it a challenge or someone's heart. The Lydia I know doesn't get nervous or scared during difficult times. The Lydia I know is the strongest. The Lydia I know is not the one who doubts herself. So, bring that Lydia out of you, give your best shot out there and make me proud." He whispers, kissing my head softly.

I close my eyes for a moment, his words hitting me hard. He is right. I do not get nervous. I'm better than that. I wrap my arms around him, hugging him tight. "Thank you. You always know how to make me feel better."

"I aim to please, babe." He retorts, quoting my words from a few days back. I roll my eyes at him.

"Thank you for the boost of confidence though." I whisper against his lips. He smiles and presses his lips to mine one last time before pulling away.