38 - She's the one

●●●

●●●

Hospitals scare me.

The smell of the disinfectants, the chatter of the people around, the rushing of patients and doctors, the worried family members crying for their loved ones, it's like an all too familiar experience for me.

Ridge and I rush to the main reception and ask for the room number where his parents are being treated.

"What's your relation with the patients?" She asks us politely, a small friendly smile on her face.

"I'm their son and she's my fiancee." Ridge replies in a hurry, making me choke on thin hair. What the fuck did he just say? Fiancee? Oh god, I'm hyperventilating. Shit. Fuck. But why?

I don't realize that the lady has already told us the room number because the next thing I know is that Ridge is dragging me towards the hallway, while I'm still recovering over the fact that he just called me his fiancee.

He stops abruptly and then faces me. "Look, I'm sorry for scaring you like that but I had a feeling that they don't allow people who are not immediate relatives to visit. And, and I need you there with me. I cannot do this alone." The vulnerability in his voice tugs at my heartstrings.

I kiss him softly. "I understand Ridge. You don't have to explain yourself to me."

He gives me a nod and then we are both off, down the hallway where Ridge stops right in front of two adjacent doors. Room no. 012 and 013.

An old lady runs towards us and engulfs Ridge into a hug, making Ridge cry into his embrace. She's whispering something in his ear, to which he nods before separating. "Where's Miles?"

She sniffs quietly, wiping her face with her hand. "He's with Harry. He was hungry so they have gone to the cafeteria to get something to eat."

He's eyes flicker to me, a confused expression on her face. "Is that her?"

Right nods, grabbing my hand. "Yeah, she's the one. Lydia."

The lady smiles through her tears, wrapping her arms around me, taking me by surprise. I hug her back, just for courtesy. She pulls away, smiling at me. "I wish me had met under better circumstances but I'm still happy to finally meet the girl who's made my boy love sick fool."

I give her a soft smile. "It's good to meet you too.."

She understands what I'm trying to say because she presses her lips together and mutters sheepishly, "Right, I'm Anne. I'm their caretaker. Been with them since this hunk here was a kid."