Step two

Chapter eight: Step two (Jacob's POV)

"We shouldn't, there's a difference," I gave her a pointed look. 

"No, we couldn't. We couldn't do that to Julia," she huffed. 

Why is it about Julia? I don't even understand why that matters. If we were to like each other, isn't that all that should matter? That is if we like each other which we currently don't. Great. 

"We don't like each other. Why are we talking about this anyway?" she asked in confusion. 

"I don't know," I shrugged before sighing and leaning back. 

I want her to like me but I don't like her. What kind of logic is that? 

It's not hard to catch feelings for someone like her, it'll become a problem if I do but she doesn't. So I'll wait until she does. Step two, Jacob. 

"We should get back inside," she stood up slowly. I followed her and as we were walking up the steps, she tripped, almost falling. 

I managed to catch her but I think she hurt her foot. "Are you okay?" I asked in concern. 

She looked down at her broken flip flop. "Stupid flip flop," she mumbled before taking it off and holding it in her hand. 

"Will you be okay?" I asked while opening the door for her. 

"I'll walk it out," she shrugged. She let go of my arm that she grabbed onto before going up to her room with my help up the stairs and coming back with a different pair on. After a while, she was walking fine again. We were all just lounging around in the living room and talking. 

"Jacob, come here!" Julia called out from the kitchen. After that day when I went into her room, we talked everything out. She had every right to be mad after what I did but I'm glad we're past it now. "I see you've been hanging out a lot more with Maddie," she wriggled her eyebrows at me teasingly. 

I just shook my head with a small smile tugging at my lips. 

"Do you like her?" she asked, completely serious. 

"No," I shook my head with uncertainty. 

"Why'd you call her beautiful?" she smirked at me. 

Did she tell her? 

"We tell each other everything, dude," she laughed while making herself hot chocolate. "Do you like her?" she asked again. 

"I don't know," I sighed in defeat. "I know she won't like me," I shrugged. 

"Why not?" she questioned in confusion. 

"Because. Would you be okay if she did?" I gave her a pointed look. 

She opened her mouth to answer but froze and began thinking about it. She closed her mouth and sighed, "I don't know," she mumbled. 

"Exactly why," I said. "It's whatever, she doesn't see it happening anyway," I waved my hand dismissively. 

"Come on, Jacob. You've won girls over before. Step two," she nudged me. 

"She's different Julia. She's important to all of us. I can't mess around with her," I shook my head while running my hand through my hair. 

"Good," she sighed, "Because no offense, but I don't see it working," she said while grabbing her cup and going to sit with everyone else. 

That was bitchy and unnecessary. 

I simply rolled my eyes joining them there. I was about to leave the kitchen but I saw Mads standing up and heading over so I stayed, making myself a cup of coffee as an excuse. "Hey," I smiled at her while she grabbed a mug and poured hot water into it after placing a teabag in it.