Laundry disaster

Chapter thirty-three: Laundry disaster (Madison's POV)

We finally got onto the flight and my seat just happened to be with Jacob. "Can I um- sit with Riley for a while? I need to talk to her about something, you guys can switch halfway through if you want?" I asked Jacob hesitantly. 

He really hurt me but I'm not gonna pin this whole thing on him because maybe it was too soon or maybe he didn't feel the same way and he felt too much pressure at that moment, it could be anything and I wanted to know what it was, but I wasn't gonna get that out of him, he can tell me when he wants. 

I sat with Riley and she was immediately asking me about how it went. "I didn't do it," I sighed while lying through the skin on my teeth. 

"What?" her shoulders fell. 

"I wussed out, I didn't do it," I shrugged while looking down at the ground. 

"Maddie," she sighed softly. "He wussed out," she huffed, "He's the one that got too scared to say his feelings out loud, Madison, he does love you and you know it. Maybe it's the fact that he's never heard it or said it, but he got too scared. So where does that leave you two?" she asked hesitantly. 

"On a break that he doesn't wanna take," I sighed as we prepared for take-off. 

"What if he tells you he loves you when we get back home?" she questioned. 

"Then I have no idea what I'm gonna do," I sighed as we took off. 

~~~~~ 

We finally landed back home in Sacramento and just finished getting our bags. We were walking out and Nick and Jacob had just taken out their phones to order Ubers when we heard a familiar voice. 

"Hey! Over here!" I looked up to see my dad waving like a mad man. 

Oh, my god. 

I dropped everything then and there and ran over to him. "Hey, easy there," he laughed while stumbling back. 

"Oh, my god. You're here!" I laughed while pulling back. 

"Oh, I'm here alright," he laughed. 

"Hey, dad," Nick came over, hugging my dad. 

"Hi, Mr. Coleman," Riley smiled while my dad hugged her briefly. 

"Jacob," my dad nodded before hugging Jacob too. 

"Mr. Coleman," he nodded back. 

"Mr. Coleman? You okay, kid?" my dad laughed while Nick loaded his and Riley's bags in the trunk. 

"John," Jacob laughed awkwardly before placing mine and his bags in the trunk. 

"So, how was the trip?" my dad asked while I called shotgun with him. 

"Fantastic," I said sarcastically while rolling my eyes. 

"You've got a lot to tell me, honey," he gave me a pointed look. 

"What?" I chuckled in confusion. 

"I hear someone's got a boy they've been seeing," he teased. 

"Who told you that?" I asked in confusion. 

"Julia," he replied nonchalantly. 

"It's complicated," I huffed. 

"Who is it?" he arched an eyebrow at me. 

"Nobody," I lied as everyone else sat in the car. "Nobody," I repeated as he began the drive back home. We walked back into the house to see my mom baking brownies.