Aggravating

Chapter seventeen: Aggravating (Madison's POV)

I loomed around the aisles, finding something to do with Ryan talked to Jacob about the job. Well, I'm guessing about the job. He does ask a few personal questions, he asked me quite a few. Likes, dislikes, hobbies, pet peeves. Nothing relevant, basically. I went back to the front but they weren't there so I took it they were also walking around. 

Maybe I can eavesdrop? 

Of course, I can. I scanned the aisles from the front and saw them in aisle six. I slowly and quietly walked to aisle five, standing on the other side of the shelf, walking side by side. 

"Wait, so you've known Maddie how long?" Ryan asked. 

Why is he asking that? 

"Fourteen years," Jacob replied with what sounded like an exhausted sigh. 

"And you're living in her house?" he questioned. 

"We all live together. Her brother, my sister, me and Mads," Jacob replied. 

"Right but in her house?" 

What is he doing? 

"Yes, our parents travel a lot so we all just live together to make visiting easier," Jacob sighed. 

"Do you like her?" 

Whoa, wait, what the fuck? 

"E-excuse me, what?" Jacob asked, chuckling dryly. "Why is that relevant?" he questioned. 

"It's just a question, interview aside," Ryan replied. 

"I came here for the interview, Ryan," Jacob retorted. He sounded like he was trying to stay calm but I could see through it and he was getting pissed off. Their voices kept getting more distant and I peeked around the corner to see them moving into aisle seven. So once they did, I moved to aisle six. 

"Alright then, are you planning on leaving town anytime soon?" Ryan asked. 

I peeked through the books and I could see Jacob's jaw ticking. "Nope, I'm planning to stay," Jacob replied almost daringly. 

"Good," Ryan sighed, "Then you're hired." 

I was walking alongside them when I knocked a book off. "Shit," I whispered to myself while crouching down in my spot, picking up the book side by side. I looked through the books to see Jacob also crouching down, looking at me in confusion through the books. I put my lips to my finger before passing him the book and leaving the aisle. 

"I accidentally knocked it off," he lied while I smiled to myself and went back to the front. I sat in Ryan's chair and spun in the chair till they came back. 

"Hey guys," I stood up when they came back. "How'd it go?" I asked like I didn't know the outcome. 

"He got it, he can join when you come back here next week," Ryan shrugged. 

"Alright cool, thanks," I said before we said bye to Ryan and left. 

"That was the most aggravating experience of my life," Jacob said through gritted teeth as we got into the car. 

"Why?" I chuckled while driving to the cafe for lunch. It was twelve-forty-five so lunch sounded like a plan. 

"You were there for like three questions. They were all about you." 

All? 

"All of them?" I thought out loud. 

"Yes," he scoffed.