Hike

Chapter eleven: Hike (Madison's POV)

"He took you on a date?" Riley looked at me wide-eyed. It was the next day, and I was telling Riley about last night. I didn't want to tell Julia and the fact that she went out on a date with Noah just helped me with that. 

"It wasn't a date," I huffed. 

"Sounds like one," she gave me a pointed look. 

"Well, it wasn't. Riley, you can't tell Julia. She's gonna kill me and him. She already said she doesn't want anything happening between us," I pleaded. 

"Do you want something happening between you two?" she asked. 

Before I could answer her question, my door swung open and Julia walked in with a sigh. "Hey," I said quickly. 

"The ice skating rink was closed so we came back," she shrugged. 

I let out a silent sigh of relief, thanking God she didn't hear anything. 

"So what're you guys doing now?" Riley asked. 

"Taking all of you with us on another group date," she stood up cheerily. 

"Where?" I asked in confusion. 

"We're going for a hike." 

Oh no. 

"We're driving to Folsom for a bigger hill, Sacramento has nothing, it's so flat," she groaned while walking out. I rolled my eyes at her words. 

Sacramento has a lot, excuse me. She would know if she saw the view I did last night. 

I was getting bitter for nothing. 

Get it together, Mads. 

"When are we leaving?" I asked myself out loud in confusion. 

"Oh!" she came running back in. "We're leaving in fifteen." 

Good to know. 

Riley went into Nick's room where half the closet was hers because she comes here all the time and I changed in mine. I threw on a sports bra and Nike shorts before pulling trainers on and grabbing a water bottle while tying my hair in a high ponytail. I decided not to take my phone because the fresh air couldn't hurt anyone so I went downstairs. I filled up my bottle with fresh water and turned around to Nick and Jacob coming downstairs. 

"Hiking, huh? Maddie's favorite," Nick snickered. I'm not exactly fond of hiking. I don't like it, it's too tiring. It depends on where we're hiking and if the view on top is worth it but it mainly depends on who I'm going with a this group is not ideal. 

Riley came downstairs and we all sat on the couch waiting for Julia. Noah was waiting in his car outside. She came out a few moments later and we all filed into the car. "Why don't we just take two cars?" I whined, standing at the door. Julia sat at the front, calling shotgun, Jacob sat at the very back and I was supposed to sit beside him. 

"Oh, come on," Riley groaned while pushing me into the car. I sat beside Jacob and they folded the seats back up, Nick and Riley sitting in middle seats. 

"Why are you so whiney today?" Jacob asked while offering me a pack of gummy bears. 

I took some and replied, "I don't know," I huffed while leaning my head against the window, only for it to hit it hard when we passed a speed breaker. 

"Jesus," he chuckled while grabbing my arm and pulling me closer to him, pulling my head down to his shoulder while I winced and rubbed my temple. It's just not a good day for me. Not at all.