Prologue

I walked quickly down the hallway, the sound of my footsteps echoing in my ears. I kept my back straight, shoulders back and my head high. My upbringing had taught me to be proper and composed at all times, to place a high price on pride. I had every right to be proud, I was the first woman in my family to be named heir and I understood the significance. My Great Uncle had stuck his neck out to make it so and I was determined to prove myself a worthy investment. I had consistently achieved full scholarships throughout my education, though with my family's wealth it was by no means a financial necessity and I maintained the highest grades. I also pushed myself outside of education as I excelled in martial arts and music. I was admired and liked in the high society circles I moved in and had an extensive collection of personal contacts. The right connections were essential to surviving in my world.
I came to a stop outside my Uncle's study and took a deep breath before giving the door two short knocks to announce my presence. I heard a voice respond and slipped inside. I bowed my head respectfully to my Uncle, the head of my family, but my eyes flicked around the room as I did so. As I raised my head I narrowed my eyes slightly at the figures positioned beside my Uncle's desk, my father on the left refused to meet my eyes and Gushiken-sama, an old friend of my Uncle's, had his mouth set in a grim line. My Uncle on the other hand, was busy scribbling away at some document and had yet to raise his head. I was suddenly concerned as to why I had been summoned but I kept my face impassive and waited patiently for my Uncle to acknowledge me. Despite large windows, the room appeared quite dark due to the dark wood that made up the antique furniture. Heavy curtains framed the windows and huge portraits of long dead men dominated the walls to either side. However, tucked in to nooks and settled between piles of papers and books lay the evidence of the current occupants of the mansion. Photos of my siblings and cousins and I smiling through the glass, and small gifts we had given him, all graciously accepted and given pride of place whether he truly like them or not.
Eventually my Uncle straightened and met my eyes, he was fast becoming an old man having already out lived my grandparents but there remained an undeniable strength to him. He commanded whatever room he occupied and could easily control the extensive family he presided over. I was no exception and once again I respectfully lowered my head.
'Seina,' he began 'You are a valued member of this family. Your dedication, hard work and impeccable behaviour has never escaped my attention. You were my first choice to be heir and have been for quite some time. I know that in the future you will manage both the household and company with the same success you do everything else. You have made me very proud over the years.'
I lifted my head slightly at his praise, allowing a small smile to grace my lips. 'As things stand, I know I can rely on you to act with wisdom and maturity beyond your years. We must all play our part to support the family and the company, as I have my whole life.' A gave a small nod to convey my understanding but in truth I did not understand what was going on and my father still wouldn't meet my gaze. My Uncle continued, unaware of my growing anxiety.
'You are 16 now and I think it is time we found you a husband. Of course I already have some suitable candidates but we'll narrow it down...' I stopped listening as the floor swayed below my feet, the earth had surely jolted to a standstill on it's axis as my whole world seemed to crumble around me. '...Marriage alliances...benefit the whole family...think about the company...' I barely heard him over the ringing in my ears and turned accusing eyes on my father. You knew. You knew and you said nothing. For half a second sad, guilty eyes met mine. On the other side of the room Gushiken-sama was watching me warily as if sensing my inner turmoil. I wanted nothing more to round on these men who had dictated my life since the day I was born and tell them exactly what I thought of them. But I didn't. I couldn't. Instead I carefully schooled my features to remain impassive.
I was too young to marry. I had plans for my education and to travel, I was going to be CEO of one of the wealthiest companies in the country. I needed time to pull my life together, I couldn't sit around playing house. Then after all that, I had, perhaps naively, expected to be able to choose my husband. I knew he would have to be wealthy, a fellow heir to a company, an aristocrat, perhaps even a trust fund kid if it came to it, but I thought I'd have a choice.
As my Uncle finished speaking I met his steely gaze and I wondered if he could see the betrayal in my eyes. I had to say something but I was not confident I could speak calmly. However, when I opened my mouth the words flowed smoothly, my voice cold and emotionless, even as I tilted my head and willed my tears not to fall. 'Am I allowed to refuse?' One look at my Uncle's face told me what I needed to know and I nodded my head, knowing how futile an argument would be. He planned to trade me like stock on the market and he wasn't going to compromise on his investment.
'I have some questions.' My Uncle nodded his head. 'When will the wedding be? Do you have a particular candidate in mind? What about my studies?' The words tumbled from my lips faster than I had intended and I hoped it wasn't seen as a criticism or worse, weakness. If my Uncle noticed, he showed no signs.
'As I said I have several candidates and although I am waiting for all offers to hit the table, I do have a preferred candidate. I will not tell you his name in case it falls through. I do not want you getting your hopes up or murdering him before you have a chance to marry.' I suspected he was only half joking about the last part but he failed to provoke even a smile from me as I simply nodded my ascent. 'The wedding date will depend on the candidate we choose.' I noted bitterly that I was not included in the 'we' but rather the men beside him. 'Finally, your studies remain your utmost priority. You will maintain your grades and the standard of work you do for me. There is no reason that this should distract you as I will be handling the situation on your behalf, I am simply informing you of my decision as a courtesy. I did not want you hearing about my enquiries on the grapevine. April is fast approaching and you will return to the academy as planned. Your parents intend to depart tomorrow so I advise that you choose what you want packing and prepare to leave. I will inform you of any changes. You are dismissed.'
'I appreciate your consideration.' I said quietly and bowed deeply as I turned and left the office.