Chapter 31

(Seina's POV)
Naively I hoped that our first week back after the summer might reach it's conclusion without any unnecessary shenanigans. I realised my mistake the moment that Honey-senpai's little brother Chika-kun turned up at the host club. I'd been helping Mori-senpai work on his dancing skills, Honey-senpai riding on his shoulders, when Haruhi appeared in the doorway. Rather than heading inside, she stood talking to someone in the doorway. Curious we went over to see what was going on.
'Huh! Chika-chan! What's up? It's so rare for you to come over to the high school.' Honey-senpai greeted enthusiastically, poking his head around the door. I leaned around Mori-senpai to take a look and sighed heavily.
'Mitsukuni defend yourself.'
Here we go again. Without waiting for a response Chika-kun lashed out at Honey-senpai with an impressive flying kick. Of course Honey-senpai simply leaped out of the way. Naturally, Haruhi was horrified. Especially when Mori-senpai and I did nothing to intervene.
'J-Just a minute! Mori-senpai!'
'Hmm?'
'What do you mean 'hmm'!? Seina!'
Renge-san then came spinning out of the floor. 'Honey-senpai confidently dodges Chika's first attack! Honey-senpai nimbly and gracefully flies through the air like a modern day Ushiwakamaru! Chika attacks again, not even giving him a chance to regain his footing! Honey-senpai dodges him while tripping him! Neither of them gives an inch, as they both unleash ferocious techniques on each other!' The fight did indeed progress play by play, as Renge-san narrated.
'Oh they're going at it again.' Tamaki-senpai observed.
Kyoya looked hard done by. 'I just wish they'd at least chosen a better location.'
'How can you be so calm!?' Haruhi demanded, unaware that Chika was at that moment increasing the stakes by drawing a weapon. 'Hang on! That's against the rules isn't it?' Haruhi cried as the battle raged on.
'Honey-senpai got knocked flying!' The twins shouted. 'Will this be. Chika's first win!?' Mori-senpai narrowed his eyes and we exchanged a look.
'Gotcha.' Chika-kun said.
'Nope the fight goes to Honey-senpai!' Renge-san declared.
'Renge-san is right.' Agreed Mori-senpai.
Chika-kun then looked down to find that he had been secured to the floor by kagenui. 'When did you...' Honey-senpai gave his brother a friendly clap.
'Honey-senpai deftly handled his shuriken when Chika was not looking!' Renge shouted triumphantly. 'Chika can no longer move an inch! Wow! What a great fight we were just treated to.' She then span back into the floor.
'Um...I'm not following this at all. To begin with, who is that?' Asked a bewildered Haruhi. 'Can't you tell by looking at his face? He's Honey-senpai's younger brother.' Tamaki-senpai answered.
'Well you couldn't tell Haruhi was a girl by looking at her face.' I reminded him.
'Hey! Daddy just made a mistake!' I was really hoping he'd cut all that creepy stuff out but no such luck.
'The Haninozuka family is a noble one that has excelled at martial arts since ancient times, and has created its own style of martial arts by incorporating combat techniques from the others. And so while the men in the Haninozuka family learn Karate and Judo on the outside, at home we work to perfect the Haninozuka form and to keep us from getting careless at any time, we have been taught that any time we see each other we are to engage in combat.' Dramatic monologue finally over, Tamaki-senpai decided to offer Chika-kun some cake. He was, predictably rejected by the haughty teen.
'I don't like sweets. The rudiments of the Haninozuka form include refraining from selfishness and striving for selflessness. Indulging in pleasures or appetite would be out of the question.'
I scoffed at him earning me an icy look and Tamaki-senpai looked put out. 'You don't have to go so far over a single slice of cake...'
'Uh...there's a sweets-loving, overly pampered, little boy lolita...'
'...Who happens to be the next head of the Haninozuka family...'
'Right over there!' The twins declared tactlessly.
Chika-kin found that sufficiently provocative. 'Let me just say, there is no way I will recognise a half-wit like Mitsukuni as the next head of the family.' Poor Honey-senpai looked crestfallen, his shoulders slumping, I put a protective arm around him as if I could shield him from his brother's jealousy. 'My brother is indeed strong. However, having failed to govern himself and becoming depraved, he is not fit to call himself a practitioner of the Haninozuka form. Even if he is my older brother, I cannot allow someone who just arbitrarily quit the karate club last year and became hooked on stuffed animals and cake, to succeed the Haninozuka family. I've wanted to make that clear for a while now. And Mitsukuni, I know I always say this but you stay away from me at school.'
I glared furiously after the younger boy but said nothing. Honey-senpai had always made it abundantly clear that his issues with Chika-kun were his problem alone.
He took Usa-chan to look out the window and I went and quietly sat next to him, my back against the wall. He looked so forlorn gazing out the window with teary eyes, his beloved rabbit clutched to his chest. I knew he'd moved there so no one else could see how upset he was.
'Uh...Honey-senpai...' Haruhi began.
'Honey-senpai, what should we do with the left over cake?' Tamaki-senpai asked in an attempt to distract the older student. That had the desired effect.
'I'll eat it!' He exclaimed in high spirits once again. He then devoured the entire piece. 'Yay! Usa-chan, that was delicious huh?' He then spun around in joyous circles.
Haruhi despite her occasional outbursts of wisdom and impressive IQ, decided to readdress the previous subject. 'So Honey-senpai, you were in the Karate club? I never knew that. What made you quit and join something like the host club?'
''Something like' the host club? What do you mean 'something like the host club'?' Tamaki-senpai demanded.
'Well, whatever way you look at it the karate club is a far more reputable activity isn't it?'
'Ahhhhh!' Tamaki-senpai cried dramatically. He then retreated into his emo corner to sulk.
'In order to learn about the past, you have to look back in time!.' The twins announced, grabbing Haruhi.
'Back before the host club was ever founded.'
'Let us tell you the story of the crack captain of the Karate club.'
They then proceeded to tell the story of poor Honey-senpai trying to fit in with his family's expectations and making himself miserable in the process. This led to him hospitalising his legendary father in a martial arts match and subsequently joining the host club.
'Chika however, has been brought up in the strict ways of the Haninozuka family.' The twins concluded.
Honey-senpai gave a small nod. 'As a result Chika-chan doesn't like me very much.'
If he hadn't been sitting on Mori-senpai's shoulders I would have put my arms around him again. It was beyond ridiculous that he was still having to prove himself.
'Alright!' Tamaki-senpai yelled in that concerning, impassioned way that always means he has a plan. 'Let Operation Haninozuka Brothers Reconciliation commence!'