Chapter 19

(Seina's POV)
First class was entirely ours. It was an unnecessary extravagance but to be honest I was not in the mood to deal with my friends, never mind acquaintances and clients and random strangers I might have bumped into otherwise. Yet my friends were all strangely subdued, as if in solidarity with me.
Kyoya had insisted he had business to attend to and would be there later. I felt immensely guilty, concerned that he was more upset about my imminent engagement than he was letting on and was avoiding me as a consequence. Perhaps he wasn't intending to show up at all. Maybe that would be best for both of us. I stared out of the window at the countryside rushing by and tried to picture myself with another man. Somehow it wasn't that easy and my mind always scattered treacherously back to Kyoya. What a mess I had created for myself.
A shining black limousine with my family's crest on the number plate collected us from the train station, taking us the final distance to my family estate. Anxiety knotted uncomfortably in my stomach as we made our way down familiar roads.

The chauffeur opened the door of the limousine and I took a deep breath before stepping out. I straightened my spine and pushed my shoulders back, head raised. Then a whirl of floral perfume came breezing toward me and a pair of familiar arms were flung around my neck. I hugged her back tightly before pulling away.
My cousin gave me a wild grin which I returned with all the spirit I could muster. Growing up in and around my family estate was often a lonely experience and without her, the only girl my own age, I might very well have gone stir crazy. She was dressed in a delicate gown like the proper lady her parents desperately wanted her to be, but on closer inspection the reality was obvious. Heavy combat boots were tied firmly to her feet in spite of the dress and her chin-length hair remained decidedly untameable, as if she herself had taken scissors to it. Yet, you could not disguise the fact that she was beautiful.
I turned to my friends, now assembled behind me, to find the twins eyeing her with amused curiosity. Now that was a disaster that I would have to prevent. 'Guys this is my cousin Satsuki. Satsuki these are my friends.' She looked each and every one up and down with a flirtatious smirk glued firmly to her lips. Then she leaned close to my ear.
'So Seina which of these is your secret man?' I flinched a little and shook my head.
'He said he would join us later. He's not here yet.'
'Ah ok. Would you like my help getting ready for the big introductions or should I make these handsome men feel more at home...' She winked at Haruhi who turned a shocking shade of red and I quickly insisted that her help would be indispensable.

I led the way through the mansion to my chambers in the west wing. I directed the boys to my sitting area and led Haruhi and Satsuki into my bedroom, much to Satsuki's confusion. I then explained that Haruhi, despite appearances, was really a girl and instructed my bewildered cousin to find her a suitable dress. Perhaps that was unfair of me but somehow I felt like the whole thing would be more manageable if someone else was equally uncomfortable. Rather than a dress, a traditional kimono had been laid out on my bed, as if this mess was something to be celebrating.
With some adjustments and tweaking from Satsuki, I was quickly dressed. It was a good choice by whichever maid the task had been delegated to and I made a mental not to find out later who it had been. Somehow I looked cute but also grown up and elegant. This choice probably meant my future husband was from an old and historical family like mine, not that that narrowed it down much. I sighed and turned away from my mirror to face my cousin and my friend who was now suitably dressed. Satsuki looked me over with a critical eye but seemed to be satisfied with her handy work.
I sat down heavily on my bed and sighed. She settled carefully beside me. 'How are you feeling?' I met her fierce gaze and looked away.
'Kind of numb to be honest. I felt so ill earlier worrying about it. I've already cried and raged. I'm not sure there is anything left to feel.' She nodded and leaned her head against my shoulder, a wordless sign of sympathy, which I accepted by leaning my head against hers. Haruhi awkwardly excused herself to the adoration of the boys but we stayed still. There was nothing left to say. For all Satsuki's petty rebellions, neither aggressive clothing nor punk rock were going to save me.
Eventually a maid apologetically stuck her head round the door and announced that our presence was required downstairs in the dining hall. Without argument, I stood up and went to face my future.