Chapter 21

(Tatsuo's POV)
I turned up early to breakfast, well aware that my rash little sister might get herself into trouble yet again if Ootori made the wrong move. I piled my plate high with pastries and was just enjoying a cup of tea when Seina appeared. The tension which had held her wrought recently was gone and she slipped into a chair across from me.
I watched her carefully over my cup but nothing seemed to be amiss. She looked a little tired but that was not unusual given her busy schedule. She smiled at the servant who poured her tea and began breakfast. She chattered endlessly to me and Satsuki about a foal that had been born on the neighbouring estate, then the gardens and the beautiful weather outside. The Hitachiin twins appeared and she playfully fended off their jabs as they took their seats. I was grateful for her improved spirits, I'd been worried about her.
Ootori walked into the dining room and I tensed up, ready to rise from my chair and restrain her if I had to. Or help her batter him. I was undecided about that. However, she sat quiet and still, simply watching as he took a seat a couple down from my own. Their eyes met and I took a deep breath but to my great surprise, she gave a barely perceptible inclination of her head and a tiny smile. For a second his normally harsh demeanour softened in response and he returned her gesture. I glanced at Satsuki who was giving me a conspiratorial grin but no one else seemed to have noticed. The curse of an older brother.
I remained at the table till Seina made her excuses and left for the day, Satsuki close on her heels. I shot Ootori a suspicious look and also left the table.

(Seina's POV)
I lay in the long grass, a slight breeze brushing stray blades across my skin and tickling my face. The summer sun warmed me quickly and I turned into the light. Satsuki lay next to me, her hair strewn around her in a dark halo. I imagined I looked similar.
'You really asked him to move into your chambers?'
'I didn't exactly ask.' She laughed gleefully and I swatted her away. 'It's not funny!'
'I wonder what on earth grandfather was thinking giving a command like that before you're even married. What does he think is going to happen?' I glanced at her warily.
'What do you think is going to happen?'
'Oh come on Seina. I know you're sheltered in your world of work but you're not that naive. Tensions are high, you're sharing a bed with an older guy and you haven't been alone for a while...put it this way, I can't imagine you'll keep your virginity for much longer.'
I made an indistinguishable, outraged noise and looked away. My face was burning hot and a ruddy shade of red. For a while, the only sound was her laughter and the wind in the trees.
'I'm only teasing you Seina. We both know you can handle yourself.' I made a face at her but nodded anyway. Satsuki turned serious and propped herself up on one elbow. 'What caused your roundabout change of heart?' I looked away again, searching for an answer I wasn't sure I had.
'I suppose I felt guilty for how cruel I'd been. Hurting him didn't make me feel better, it just caused me more pain and I missed him. I went to the chambers we were meant to share and I realised that he was what I wanted. The way he treated me was wrong but I realised that I...I...' My heart skipped a beat and my words faded from my lips as my conclusion shook me. Satsuki peered at me in confusion and waved a hand in front of my face.
'And? Hello?' I swallowed hard, pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind.
'Then I went to his room.'
'His room!? Seina!' I realised what I'd said and shook my head frantically.
'No! That's not what I meant! We were just talking, nothing else.' She gave me a look which suggested disbelief though her continued laughter told me she knew I was telling the truth. I was just about to tackle her when we heard one of the back doors opening.
We rolled onto our stomachs and peered through the grass at our unexpected visitor, giggling like children. Then the familiar figure came into view and butterflies took flight in my stomach. Before I could stop her Satsuki jumped up and made her way back to the mansion, immediately giving away my own position.
'Make sure to use protection!' She yelled back to me. I flushed a deep red and made a vulgar gesture in her direction before collapsing back into the grass.
Seconds later a shadow fell over me. A familiar smirk was on his face suggesting he'd heard Satsuki's comment but he remained standing, cautious. I stretched out in the grass and closed my eyes.
'Are you going to stand there admiring me all day?'
When I opened my eyes again he was sat beside me, leaning back on his hands. I raised my eyebrows at him and he lay back, hands behind his head.
'Dare I ask what the two of you were discussing?'
'Never you mind.' I answered with my usual nonchalance but I knew my cheeks were still tinged pink. Despite the fact we were not touching, it felt strangely intimate to lay beside him. Naturally that was Satsuki's fault. I wanted to move closer and tuck myself into his arms but the thought still left me feeling queasy. I wasn't 100% ready to forgive him.
He closed his eyes and stretched back in the grass, laying so still that I wondered if he had fallen asleep. I'd never seen him so inactive for so long, he was always doing something. Then one eye flickered half open and a smug smile crept onto his face as he noticed me staring. Before he could say anything, I sat up and moved an inch closer. He watched me with half-closed eyes, wary. I prodded his chest hesitantly, then the areas of his clothes where pockets were outlined. My search unsuccessful I stared at him in bewilderment.
'Where is it?'
He simply cocked an eyebrow at me. 'Where is what?'
'Your notebook.'
'That is none of your concern.' I scowled at him and he wisely kept speaking. 'When you are my wife you may have full access to my business, until then you are still part of a rival family. I cannot give you Ootori Group secrets.' Not so wise then. I gave him a sweet smile which warped into an evil grin as I stood.
'I never agreed to be your wife.' Then I was gone.