Chapter 33

(Seina's POV)
Halloween was fast approaching and with the exams out the way, Ouran was preparing for the annual October social events. I was undecided as to whether these were a valuable networking opportunity or simply a waste of time which should be dedicated to my academic studies. Despite that quandary, I knew the twins were looking forward to it. As far as they were concerned, time not spent studying was almost always time well spent and Halloween had a special place in their hearts. Trickery being their main occupation.
Homeroom had just begun and the twins were already eagerly talking over our unfortunate class reps. 'Alright,' our class chairman Kazukiyo Soga called out. 'Let's move on to the next item on the agenda. I would like to discuss the plans for next week.'
'Plans?' Haruhi asked.
'Halloween!' Responded an enthusiastic Kaoru. I grinned at him in spite of myself.
Our vice-chairman, Momoka Kurakano, seemed to think a more thorough explanation was necessary. 'Haruhi-kun, you became an honour student here starting in high school, so you wouldn't know about it huh? Here at Ouran, during the grading of our in-school trial exams, we're allowed to take off the end of October every year, and hold costume parties here on campus.'
'Also to promote camaraderie, we are allowed to take a whole day and use it as we like, as a class event.'
'An event...' Haruhi repeated thoughtfully.
Hikaru turned to face her. 'Well, usually, we...'
'have tea parties, watch movies and so on.' Finished Kaoru.
'It's fun even if it is a drain on productivity.' I added.
Hikaru rolled his eyes at me. 'It used to be the only time Seina would take off and only because it's compulsory!'
'And what is wrong with that?' I shot back.
Kaoru raised his hands in a placating gesture. 'Hey guys come on, I-'
Before he could say anything else he was interrupted by the screeching of Renge-san. 'Not good enough! Not good enough! Not good enough!!! Halloween! It's the day that signifies the end of summer and the beginning of winter. Halloween...the day that people come out against the spirits and devils that come by, by making themselves look like them. Halloween...it also, in time, became a festival of dressing up in costumes and playing pranks.' Needless to say she had the attention of the entire class as she pranced about on top of the desks.
'Some people don't wait for permission to throw costume parties...' Hikaru grumbled observing her schoolgirl costume.
'And engage in cosplay all year round.' Added Kaoru.
'So what's with that uniform?' Haruhi asked. I sighed, I'd been hoping we could just ignore her latest bout of insanity without lengthy discussion.
'To tell you the truth, this is the uniform of the girl characters who will be appearing in "Uki-Doki Memorial 2", which isn't scheduled to come out until next spring!'
'So...you bribed someone to release the information to you early.' I deduced.
'I obtained some advanced, unannounced information and made this.' She corrected me cheerfully.
'Hoshakuji-san,' the class chairman interrupted. 'We're having homeroom. Please get down off the desk.'
Rather than acknowledging his request she began yet another tirade. 'We cosplay and hold tea parties all the time at the Host Club! What good is Halloween without any further stimulation?'
'Umm...this is to be a class event.' The chairman offered trying to regain control of the class.
'I hereby propose that we have a Halloween special test-of-courage tournament!' Excited chattering followed the announcement and the twins grinned excitedly at each other.
'A Halloween special...'
'Test-of-courage tournament?'
'We'll ask the school superintendent to open the school at night. Then, we all take turns dressing up as monsters, and scaring each other. It will make for wonderfully high spirited, exciting communication!' I tried to quell the anxiety building in my stomach at the thought of being at school at night, in the dark. Not to mention the potential damage to my productivity.
'Great! That sounds great! We're in!' The twins cheered excitedly. I gave them a weak smile. I would try my best if only to avoid disappointing them. An evil look suddenly crossed their faces.
'I like the part...'
'About the school at night.'
The other students in our class began chattering about how excited they were and making plans for groups and costumes. The chairman began protesting meekly and I realised he was shaking. 'We should go in at least groups of 3-5.'
The vice-chairman, Kurakano-san gave him a big smile. 'It would be best if it was really scary right?' He visibly flinched but said nothing.
Hikaru grinned at the shaking chairman. 'For anyone who runs out in the middle of it...'
'We'll have them featured on the front page of the school newspaper as Minister of Pantywaists.' Kaoru said, completing his brother's sentence.
'Seconded!' Cheered the rest of the class.
The chairman gasped at us all before quickly composing himself. I got a book out to read. 'Well, does anyone have an objection to a majority vote?...Is anyone opposed?...Is there really no one!?...Very well then, for class 1-A's class event...we would like to settle on the Halloween special test-of-courage contest proposed by Hoshakuji-san.' Everyone cheered excitedly and I turned the page of my book.