Chapter 3

(Seina's POV)
I was confident in the plan that I had devised with the help of Mori-senpai and Honey-senpai. However, I was a little nervous in the execution of the plan. When Karou and Hikaru materialised before me that morning I jumped out of my skin and knocked my open pencil case off my desk in the process. Karou shot me a concerned look while he bent to help me collect up my stationary.
'Sorry.' I muttered, but he waved away my apology with an easy smile.
'Even gods have bad days and it does make us mere mortals feel better about ourselves.' I rolled my eyes at him but laughed, feeling more relaxed. The Hitachiin twins were a handful and our friendship was based largely on the fact that they considered me a curiosity, but they had become an important part of my life. They settled down on either side of me, and surprisingly I was allowed to work in peace. By the end of class my luck had apparently run out.
'Seina...hang out with us this lunchtime.'
I met Karou's gaze with guilty eyes. 'I'm sorry, I already agreed to eat with some other friends today. Maybe some other time...?'
Before Karou could say anything, Hikaru interrupted. 'You have other friends!? And you're hanging out with them!?'
I scowled at him, 'Of course I have other friends.'
'Ditch them and hang out with us instead.'
'No!'
They then turned on Haruhi who had just finished refilling her pencil case. 'Haruhi! As our closest friend you most talk some sense into this madwoman!'
She gave the sigh of a long suffering victim and we exchanged a look. 'This is not my problem. Why don't you two just leave her be?'
They looked momentarily outraged before exchanging matching smirks. An arm wrapped around my waist as Hikaru pulled me against him while Karou reached out and cupped my face. 'Don't you want to be with us Seina?' I blushed slightly at their antics but remained otherwise expressionless. I was more than used to them.
'Seina-san' A deep voice reached me from the doorway. I looked over to see Mori-senpai standing in the doorway.
I gave him a winning smile. 'Mori-senpai.'
The twins exchanged a horrified look and released me, 'You're having lunch with Mori-senpai!?'
I nodded, picked up my things and headed towards Mori-senpai. 'Bye guys.'

Once outside my classroom, Honey-senpai popped out from behind Mori-senpai. 'Sei-chan!' He cheered, 'Do you like dessert with your lunch? I have so many sweets! Do you like strawberry cake? That's my favourite.' I smiled as he chattered on about sweets and cake. Although he was clearly my superior in martial arts, I found it hard at times like these to believe he was really older than me. He was so cute.
Having blindly followed Mori-senpai for several minutes we had come to a stop outside a room I did not recognise. The sign read 'Music room 3' but despite being a very dedicated music student I had never been inside. In fact I hadn't previously known of it's existence. I eyed the older boys suspiciously. 'What is this place?' Mori-senpai shrugged at me and walked inside, and despite my misgivings I followed.
As if carried by a gust of wind, rose petals came swirling towards me. As the shock of the bright lights and unusual floral arrangements faded I realised where I was. The host club. I had never been of course, I had far too much self respect for that. Though from gossip I had heard around the academy the club room was unmistakable.
I turned to Mori-senpai, eyebrows raised and arms folded. 'This is not a place to study Mori-senpai. Why would you lie to me?' He narrowed his eyes and a hurt look glanced across his face.
Honey-senpai frowned at me. 'Takashi does not lie. There is a side room which Tama-chan set up so Haru-chan could study in between guests. You should trust your friends Sei-chan.'
My mouth formed a small o at this scolding but before I could say anything to Mori-senpai my hands were taken from me and I was guided around in an elegant cyclical motion. 'Why princess, how lucky we are to be graced with your presence. However, our club does not officially open for another 20 minutes, so although my heart will ache at your absence could you please wait for me outside. You have my word that I will entertain you personally if you can only wait.' Then with a dramatic flourish the blonde boy in front of me pressed a kiss to the back of my hand and produced a rose, seemingly from nowhere.
'Suoh-senpai?' I questioned with a bemused look on my face. It was only then that he looked at me and realised who I was.
'Oh, hello Kamei-san. Forgive me it has been too long and you have grown far more beautiful than the last time I saw you. Also, I thought we agreed on Tamaki-senpai.'
I smiled. 'Very well senpai. How is your father? I trust he is well.'
'Yes he is very well indeed. Thank you for asking. May I inquire as to what exactly made you suddenly take up my offer after so long?'
I winced slightly at the unspoken accusation. 'I apologise senpai but my schedule has been hectic over the past few years and I'm afraid your generous offer escaped my mind.'
Tamaki-senpai smiled graciously as if this was exactly the explanation he had expected. 'But forgive me princess, what exactly brings you here now?' I opened my mouth to answer but Honey-senpai had caught hold of the material of my dress and was tugging at it.
'Sei-chan...I got cake...' At the look on his face I was quick to make my excuses to Tamaki-senpai and followed my tiny friend into a side room where Mori-senpai stood quietly. There was a little desk against one wall with a lamp to one side and a sideboard and small sofa against the perpendicular walls. Various sweet and savoury snacks lay arrayed on the sideboard, telling me that it wasn't just Honey-senpai who had brought food. I looked guiltily at Mori-senpai who was watching me carefully as if waiting for my reaction.
Slowly I walked over and wrapped my arms around him. 'Thank you senpai. This is perfect. I'm sorry I doubted you. I guess I spend too much time with the Hitachiin twins, I saw where you'd brought me and presumed it was a joke. I'm truly sorry for my reaction. I know you're not a liar. Thank you for all of this.' He hummed happily and I felt the sound reverberate through his chest as he returned my hug.
'Well this is nice.' Came Hikaru's voice from behind us. I pulled away from Mori-senpai and turned around to see an uncomfortable Haruhi in the door and the twins behind her. I immediately felt guilty, this was her room and she probably needed to study too. I grabbed my bag and faced Haruhi.
'I'm sorry Haruhi I'm leaving now, I'll get out of your way. Thank you all for your hospitality.' I bowed my head slightly and went to make a quick exit. However, a strong hand gripped my wrist and I looked down to see Honey-senpai. A challenge clear in his big brown eyes, don't run from a fight. I nodded my head and turned back to Haruhi who seemed mildly confused by the whole exchange but she quickly smiled at me.
'It's ok Seina I don't have any work to do today. I just came to look for my pen. My stationary seems to be going missing a lot recently.' The four boys exchanged a guilty look and Karou immediately suggested that he, Hikaru and Haruhi go sit in the main room. However, Hikaru had other plans.
'Mori-senpai you know this isn't really the kind of place you're meant to take the girl you like. I mean Seina must feel horribly uncomfortable in a place where you've entertained so many other girls.' My cheeks had flushed a deep red and I glared at him furiously.
Karou attempted to cut in, always the peacemaker. 'Hey Hikaru that's enough. Come on...'
'And.' Hikaru drawled 'You certainly don't let anyone make a move on your girl.'
I looked down at Honey-senpai who upset by the conflict was now holding my hand tightly. 'I've had about enough of this. First of all you are being unkind and actually quite cruel. Secondly, not that it's any of your business but Mori-senpai and I are not together. I train at his dojo. And finally if you are so jealous that you had to make a big scene like this then you should have manned up and asked me out yourself.'
He stared at me wide eyed, surprised by my outburst and unused to being confronted with his feelings head on. He then shook his head bitterly. 'How often do we invite you to hang out Seina? Everyday. How often do you reject us!? Everyday!'
I looked away guiltily. He was right. I wanted to explain but I couldn't. Not at that moment while he was staring at me with angry, accusational eyes. 'I'm sorry.' Before I could say anything else he had charged off. Karou shot me a sympathetic look before chasing after his brother.
We all stood there for a moment, engulfed by the tension that lingered in the air. It was of course, broken by Honey-senpai who did a quick cake count and promptly invited Haruhi to stay with us. I smiled weakly and sat down with them. I felt like I couldn't do anything right that day. I'd upset Mori-senpai and Honey-senpai in the process, I'd narrowly avoided offending Tamaki-senpai, stolen Haruhi's study space and now Hikaru was never going to speak to me again and Karou might just do the same in solidarity with his twin.
I leaned back against the couch and sighed. Considering my alleged powers of diplomacy this was a real mess. However, in spite of myself I was soon having a good time, laughing and chatting with my friends. I had forgotten what I was missing out on.
Part way through lunch Tamaki-senpai appeared in the doorway, drawn over by the sound of our laughter. He peered in cautiously at our impromptu picnic on the floor of the study room and I offered him a wide smile.
'Do you want to join us senpai? There's enough food for everyone.' I moved other slightly to make room for him between me and Haruhi. I could have sworn I saw tears of happiness in his eyes as he quickly accepted and joined us. It wasn't very proper or dignified and I couldn't have claimed my Uncle would have approved but it was the happiest I had been in a long time and I was so grateful to the people sat around me.
In the end Tamaki-senpai had decided not to open the host club that lunch time since 3/7 hosts were missing.
Near the end of lunchtime I pulled Haruhi over to one side. 'Hey Haruhi, I'm sorry I've been distant recently. I guess Hikaru is right to be mad at me. There's just this thing and I don't know how to say it out loud. I guess I don't really want to make it real. Will you do me a favour? Please.'
Haruhi smiled. 'Of course I'll do you a favour. Also don't worry about Hikaru he'll come around, me and Karou realised early on that something else was going on. We just didn't know what.'
'Can you help me get Karou on his own? I just want to talk with him without Hikaru so I don't have to feel like I'm walking on eggshells the whole time. For better or the worst they are my closest friends and I feel like there is a rock in my stomach because I haven't told them.'
'Of course. Just let me know when and I'll think of something.'
I gave her a wonky smile 'Thank you Haruhi. I'm sorry about all the mystery. I actually feel rather silly.' She laughed and we headed back to class.
I sat beside Haruhi for the rest of that day and tried to keep my head down. I could feel Hikaru's eyes boring into me the entire time. I didn't risk looking up and meeting his gaze. I didn't want to see how angry he was.