Chapter 7: Tears

Chapter 7: Tears

CHANMI

I CAME to the coffee shop, panting. Even how heavy my bag was, I ran towards the cafe to be here on time but I was still late for few minutes.

"I'm sorry, I was a bit late," I told Jihoon while tying my apron. He's fixing some things inside the staff room. "Where's Hanjin?"

"He left maybe ten minutes before you arrived," he replied.

"Oh, I forgot," I whispered to myself and followed him going out the staff room.

I went to my post while he started to mop the floor. There were students going inside and mostly they were from the schools around the cafe. They are our regular customers so some were familiar to me.

I did my job while reviewing some of my handouts that I kept under the counter. When there aren't customers, I read my handouts. We have a lot of tests tomorrow. I just need to balance my time so I can have enough time to rest or do anything I need to do when I got home.

"Chanmi, are you okay?" Jihoon asked, popping out of nowhere. He's holding the mop on his left hand while his right arm supports his body which is leaning on the corner of the countertop. He worriedly stared at me.

"Yeah, why?" I asked, my eyes still fixed on the handout spread in front of my eyes.

"You look stress." He jerked his forefinger in front of my face. "You should take a rest."

I put down the handout and lifted my head to give him a glance. "Nah, I don't need it, okay?" I replied.

He nodded at me but worry is still on his face while staring at me. "Just ask me when you need something." I nod at him and gave him a forced smile.

I haven't slept last night since I still have a lot of things to do. Some of those were the works I haven't finish on Saturday, the day Jungwoo helped me with some. I'm starting to feel sick again but I shrug it off. I shouldn't be entertaining it because I still have a lot of things to accomplish.

I was busy reading and doing my work at the same time when my phone vibrated inside my slacks' pocket. I fished the phone from my pocket and checked the caller ID.

"Mom," I read under my breath.

My mother isn't the type of person who constantly calls and checks on me. She usually call me if ever she needs something or there's something important for me to know. And I don't have an idea which one will it be today.

"Jihoon, I'll just answer this," I told Jihoon who was mopping. I raised my phone to show it to him.

I immediately went to the staff room as I accepted the call. If usually she doesn't greet me and getting straight to her point, she greeted me and asked me how am I. Not to be being bad, but she usually do that when she needs something. Now I know the reason why she called me.

"I'm fine, what is it?" I didn't bother to greet her back, I just ask her whatever the reason why she thought of calling me.

"Your brother," she stopped for a while and I heard her sniffed from the other line. "He's in the hospital."

"Chanhi? What happened to him?" I asked, worry started to creep inside me.

"He was bruised, he was almost killed," she replied. The worry I had, lessen a bit.