Chapter 15: Birthday

CHANMI

I REMOVED the bandages on my fingers with a smile on my lips. The bones on my fingers were fine now so I can remove it. Also, aside from the bandages on my fingers, I removed the bandage on my foot. I am smiling from ear to ear when I finally saw my foot again without the bandage.

Since it was just a sprain, it healed faster than I thought. No more bandage on my foot, no more crutch. I stood up from my bed and walked around my apartment.

"It's good to be back!" I exclaimed, raising my hands and squealed. This is the best gift I've ever received for my birthday.

Yeah, it's my birthday today. I stared at the calendar sitting on my desk. A big red heart was marked on the 21st day of December. I always celebrate my birthday alone because if I am going home for Christmas, I'll go home at the 24th and come back here at 26th because of work.

It's either I will sleep for almost half a day during my birthday or order a box of pizza for myself. I will treat myself too by buying foods I want to eat after saving all the craves I had for the entire year. I am spoiling myself during my day and then get back to normal the next day.

I wore thick clothes before leaving the apartment and went straight to the cafe. I'm sure, this day up to February, we'll be getting more customers who would like some hot coffee during this cold season. I skip in between my walks while humming with NCT 127's Welcome to my Playground.

I won't be staying at home this time, I'll be working until the shop closes and do everything I want after I got home. I'm smiling widely as I pushed the door to the cafe and greeted Hanjin and Jihoon.

"You look like you're too happy," Jihoon commented as I waved my hand at him with a wide smile on my lips.

"Hmm, just woke up at the right side of my bed," I replied and went inside the staff room then changed into my uniform.

Since I just started working here last summer, they didn't know when my birthday is and I am not planning on telling them. I prefer it to remain as a secret. Sometimes, it's better to celebrate your birthday alone. Aside from enjoying yourself for the whole day, you also have a time for yourself. Or maybe a "me time".

"One black coffee, please," the guy on his mid-30's said as he get his wallet on his pocket. He handed me a bill and I input his order on the touch-sensitive screen.

I handed him his change and receipt. "Hanjin, black coffee," I told Hanjin.

~•~

If you were to enjoy something, time will fly too fast that you won't notice it. It was an hour before the cafe closes when I received a message from Minji. Because of her message, I happened to notice what time it is.

Minji
Happy birthday Chanmi!
Promise we will
celebrate your birthday
when I got back there on
Saturday! Excited to see
you again girl!
7:19 PM

I smiled and my mind plays her voice greeting me a happy birthday. Minji never forget to greet me and she knows I am not into parties so she will either ask me if I want her to come over to my place so we can celebrate my birthday or she'll ask me if I want to be alone so we would just go out to eat or do anything the next day.