Chapter 22: Staring contest

CHANMI

WE ENTERED the hall together with Doyoung. The whole place was full of laughters from different people and I can feel the fun even from the doorway. After I received a message from Yuta, telling me to wait for Doyoung to fetch us, I immediately told Minji about it. They told us about their plan for today's celebration last night.

Just like how Minji reacted when she first saw Jungwoo, then Jaehyun and Doyoung, her mouth gaped open when she saw the members of NCT 127 laughing inside the hall where Jungwoo's birthday will be celebrated.

She tugged my shirt while biting her lower lip. Her eyes reflect the excitement and surprise she felt while staring at the dreamlike view in front of her.

"Is this real?" she asked me and I just nodded at her with a smile plastered on my lips.

The first time I saw them this close, I can't deny the fact that I can't believe I wasn't dreaming. This is completely different from watching them perform in a stage while I was just swaying my lightstick in the air and shouting the fanchant.

"Hey, Chanmi, you're here," Johnny greeted and stretched his arm for a bro high five. "How's the past months?"

"Still the same," I replied and shrugged my shoulders. "Nothing's new."

"Not even the Valentine's day?" Taeyong asked and grinned at me.

"Valentine's day had always been usual for me, but not now that Jaehyun invited me to celebrate his birthday," I replied and glanced at Jaehyun who was busy sticking the cutout letters on the wall. He glanced at me and smiled, still continuing what he's doing.

The atmosphere between me and the members was never been awkward. Even the first time we met each other, they never made me feel awkward though I was very shy back then. And now, I felt closer to them that it doesn't feel like I was just a fan anymore.

"Noona!" Haechan greeted and excitedly jogged towards me.

"Haechaniee!" I called him and I let him lock me in a tight hug.

They were holding some cutouts and preparing foods that some were served on the long table at the middle of the hall.

"Oh, this is Minji," I told them after realizing that Minji was still standing behind me, still starstruck. "You know, the one Jungwoo mentioned to you."

"Hi," Johnny greeted and stretched his arm for a handshake. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Johnny."

"H-hi." Minji accepted his hand and the other members started to greet her and even though they are aware that Minji knows them already, they still introduced theirselves.

"Where's Jungwoo, by the way?" I asked and helped Taeyong put the foods on the table.

"He's with Yuta and Mark," Taeyong replied. "They brought him to a park so we can prepare here freely."

"They'll be here in less than an hour," Taeil said, staring at his phone's screen.

When everything is settled, they switched off the lights and we waited for the three to arrive. Taeil gets notified from time to time by Mark and luckily, based on Mark, Jungwoo doesn't seem to notice it.

"Okay, they're here," Taeil announced in a whispering manner.

As if on cue, the door swung open, emerging three silhouettes at the door way. Then Doyoung switched on the lights.

"Happy birthday Jungwoo!" We all exclaimed, surprising Jungwoo a bit.

His hand was on his chest as he looked at us surprisedly. We sang a happy birthday song for him while Jaehyun holds the birthday cake.