Wolfstar - Bloody Hands

Remus lay on the hard concrete, fingers scrabbling frantically to apply pressure to the gaping wound on his abdomen, which was gushing blood vehemently. He knew it was pointless as he coughed up yet another handful of blood, warm and sticky, coating his fingers, palm and running down his wrist.

He fumbled through his pockets for his phone, fingers making a bloody trail across the screen as he messily punched in his password and went straight to the 'call' application.

He put it on speaker and the ringing filled the small, dingy alley he was lying in. He was scared. He was too young to die, Harry and
Sirius were waiting for him to come home. But death was inevitable for him at this point and he knew it.

The pool of blood spreading around him knew it.

The dirty alley knew it.

The cat in the corner looking at him with curious eyes knew it.

His wheezy, choked breaths knew it.

But his family didn't, at least, not if he could help it.

Sirius picked up, with a cheery "Hello gorgeous!" And background noise full of laughter and shouts and wrapping paper.

Remus smiled, blood coating his lips and running down his face.

"Hi Pads, how was your day?"

Sirius launched into a long winded explanation, punctuated with laughs. Remus was happy to sit there and let him ramble, it made him feel less sad.

"Molly is over right now, spending some time with Harry, she brought her son."

Remus was glad. Sirius was going to need someone to support him, and who better than Molly. He hoped Harry could find a friend in little Ronald too.

"How are you?"

Remus's smile dropped momentarily, before he answered in a light hearted tone, fingers pressing harder over the wound and trying not to groan in pain.

"Busy, busy, you know how missions are, Pads."

"Yes, I know" came the reply, accompanied with a child in the background, demanding to talk to his 'Moomy'.

"Hiya dada!" A small, five year old voice floated through the speakers, eager and unaware.

"Hiya pet, how are you doing?"

"Want you to come home." Remus could imagine Harry pouting, crossing his arms and trying to look grumpy, but failing.

A laugh. "I'll be home baby, I'll see you again." A pain shot through his heart at lying to his family, but there was no need for stressing them out.

"Pass back to Papa now, yeah, I love you." There was a shuffling and footsteps as the phone was supposedly passed back over. Remus wasn't quite sure anymore, his vision was blacking out and he was trembling.

"I love you, I'll see you tomorrow Re, yeah?"

"Mhm, I'll see you again, I love you too, so much, don't forget that, tell Harry too, tell him every day."

A sob ripped through Remus's chest as he could barely hold it together, and when Sirius's voice filtered through again, it was confused, and worried.

"Re, baby, you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, m'fine, fine, I love you lots."

He hung up, after hearing Sirius's reply, and lay back, relaxed and happy. As his vision blacked out for the last time, his eyes closed, and he heard sirens fill the air.

Remus John Lupin was pronounced dead at scene on 24th December. Christmas Eve.