KNOWING MY PLACE

It struck me just as I took a huge bite of the croissant, it hit me so hard I dropped the delicious pastry as if it had burned me.

"Fuck," I said wishing there was a wall I could bang my head for being so stupid. Grandma had confessed everything I had needed just yesterday and dear dumb me had not been wearing my wire. I could have been gone by now, submitting a confession by a witness. I did not even wear the darn thing even now. This was absolutely a mistake, I was not cut out for this espionage thing. I had been painfully proven too many times that I was out of my depth. I sat back, thinking of what I was to do from now on.

The problem was that it was risky wearing a wire especially when Mr Rosewood was this unpredictable. It seemed that the only option was my phone but then a phone could be hacked and cloned. I smiled, thinking about the idea of cloning, I thought of how I could do that to Mr Rosewood's phone. Now how was I going to do that as he always had his phone with him, it was basically a limb. With that I jumped off, taking a last bite before drinking the remaining coffee and making my way out.

It took about ten minutes to get to the room and I was relieved to find it empty, to make sure I went the bathroom to make sure then to the closet. It was all clear so I sat on the bed thinking of how harder this would be after that stupid ass had smashed my laptop. I lay back on the bed thinking of how I would do what and when. I had to get a hold of things fast so I could get out of here.

An idea popped into mind of if I could bug his office, it was very risky, to add on there were cameras everywhere along with guards. Cloning his phone seemed like the better option. I also needed information and sadly I had to use grandma and the other two wives, if I could just get them on their own. My eyes suddenly seemed heavier with a headache. I decided to just close my eyes for just two seconds then get up to tour the place.

I jolted up from bed groaning as I knew what had happened making me curse under my breath. The sun was about to set, and I had not done anything productive at all on this day. What kind of an agent was I?

Being fashionably late was my M.O. I walked into the dining room, finding everyone already seated all waiting, food not being served yet. Awkward silence greeted me with even the children sitting down, barely saying a word, It felt like a funeral than a dinner. My eyes flickered to Mr Rosewood who was kept busy with his phone oblivious to everyone else as they sat at the tip of their chairs. I walked up quickly as I had not been late purposely but no matter how I tried I could never get on time for anything. I walked around the table, dragging the chair next to him and sitting down.

"Nice for you to join us," Mr Rosewood said, his eyes still on his phone making me wonder if he had even talked or maybe I was hallucinating now.

"I am sorry," I said, biting my tongue as the words slipped out, hating how I was apologising to this barbaric man but I knew when to swallow my pride and I would have to do a lot of it.

I drew my eyes from him only for them to connect with Thomas staring at me with a smirk. What was his problem? I felt like leaping over and chewing his head but I sat back in my chair, holding up my smile, straining my face as if I was getting a face lift really.

My eyes then fell on granny who looked very well.

"Hello granny, you look well?" I said seeing her face brighten.

"I feel well my child, not that anyone in this table has even noticed my presence." She said.

Mr Rosewood rushed to look up with a straight face staring at his grandma.

"Forgive me Grams, how are you feeling?" He asked a question I had already asked which just led to me rolling my eyes and looking away while the help brought in the starters, placing everything in place.

"Starters are served." It was announced and everyone picked up their golden fork and knife, digging in the food.

I looked over feeling my stomach drop with what was on my plate. It was like they had shredded a cucumber and bathed it in oil. I did not what to eat it but looking around, no one was complaining and I was not going to either so I picked up my fork and dug in only to bring the fork down.

Hell no!

There was no way I would continue eating that. I picked up my glass of wine and washed my throat with it looking around to see everyone enjoying it.

'Okay, I can do this, they are all enjoying it so maybe it's just me. I grew up eating mud with my friends so this is nothing.'  I told myself as I picked up the fork again, stabbing whatever that was and bringing it up to my mouth slowly. I swallowed hard before throwing it in my mouth and chewing. It was the bitterest thing I had ever eaten, it was bitter and sour at the same time if that made sense and the sauce they had glazed it in did nothing to compliment it at all. I swallowed, taking another stab at it and bringing it to my mouth. I watched Mr Rosewood gulp it all down in a matter of a few seconds at the corner of my eye and as soon as he was done I pushed my plate too brushing my stomach as if I was full.

The help came, collecting the dishes, mine being barely touched and when everything was clear they placed the main course dishes which was pasta and a large bowl of salad. I could not help but salivate at the sight, I was just happy to see pasta even though it was such a small serving it made my stomach protest in hunger.

"The main course has been served," it was announced again as everything was set. No one had to tell me twice as I chunked down all the pasta only to stop in shock with no more pasta to eat yet my stomach still felt as empty as before. My eyes looked over at my salad, shaking my head, the only way I ate a salad was if there was something extra to eat with, I could not just chew on lettuce leaves on their own.

I sat back, looking down at everyone eating, even the kids kept their eyes down, eating. The other women at the table chewed on the green leaves, gulping everything down shyly trying not to upset their husbands in anyway. I felt frustrated for them, I felted angry and I just could not even want to imagine a life where I would be tied to a savage beast such as Mr Rosewood. They were so strong for being able to hold on for so long, to not die from insanity.

"Ashley, I was thinking that maybe tomorrow we three could go on a picnic outside." I said smiling, not knowing what would happen really.

"So now women are allowed to just talk, talk, and talk at the table?" The question was posed by none other than Thomas himself as he threw his napkin down in anger, his hand grabbing roughly at his wife's wrist, whimpers escaping her lips as she tried to free herself from his grasp.

"You will not be going to any picnic with anyone you...you..." He held his tongue before spitting the word he wanted to really. I stared at him right in the eye, showing how I was not afraid of him yet inside I could not help but ask myself what I would do if he stood up and beat me to dead with Mr Rosewood watching everything unfold. It seemed as if I had the assumption that I had Mr Rosewood's protection here but I had no such thing, the devil himself could kill me at any point here, never to regret it.

I swallowed hard and held my stare as I saw Thomas turning red.

"Enough! We will not be disrespected in such a manner by this whore!" It was Phil this time jumping, on his feet staring right at Mr Rosewood in the face.

"My female can talk anywhere she wants to and if that bothers you then state it clearly and I will deal with you." Mr Rosewood said, staring right at the men who bowed their head and marched out of the room in such anger.

" But keep her away from our wives," Phil said before harshly pulling at his wife and walked out followed by Thomas who dragged Ashley while she tried not to lose her footing, hands placed on her belly as tears pooled in her eyes. I watched them leave, taking a deep breath and seating back with a sigh.

Mr Rosewood harshly grabbed my wrist causing me to jump and quickly try to peal myself from him.

"Good night Gram," He said as he stood up, dragging me with him.

"Let me go," I said, trying not to cause a scene as I tried hard to pry my hand from him.

"Oohh Seith but I wanted Britney to help me with some letter because you know your poor old Gram cannot see now." Grandma tried to interject.

"Sorry Gram but you cannot get her out of this," he said kissing her forehead and turning while I panicked, my heart hammering in my chest, thoughts rushing to the worst case scenario. I looked over to Grandma who looked at me. shaking with tears pooling in her eyes. I shook my head trying to tell her that I would be okay but it did not help as a tear slipped down her cheek.

I was dragged through the passage to the elevator. The doors closed behind us as I stood next to him not wanting to even move as it would make him more furious.

Would I bare what was to come?

Would I even be alive when he was done?

Fear gripped at me, clawing its way to my fast beating heart. I felt tears threaten to spill but held them back as I would not go down looking like a coward. I was going to be strong. I held my head high trying to calm my heart which was taking none of it. There was a ding, making me jump as the doors opened and I was dragged out and into our room where the door was closed and locked behind me.

"You seem to forget your place in this house." He said so calmly it had a shiver run down my spine as he let go of my hand and went to the adjoining living room to pour himself a drink.

"Should I remind you?" He continued.

I shook my head vigorously, forgetting that he could not see me with his back turned to me but I just could not utter a word. He turned and stalked towards me in a way that had me taking several steps back only to hit a wall.

Shit.

"You are becoming too much of a nuisance for me." He said, taking a huge gulp of his whiskey and putting the glass down only to turn, I swear I could see the pits of hell in his eyes, fires roaring loudly waiting to claim its next victim.

"When I come back, I want your ass bent upwards, waiting for my cock or your head will be rolling on this floor tonight, am I understood?"

I did not say a word, did not even blink. How could I? How could I say anything at what I was hearing? A panic was rising and I could barely see as tears blurred everything out. I could not breathe with my chest closing in on me. I wanted to be strong, I wanted to spit at his face and tell him to kill me yet I could not. I saw how much of a coward I was, all those years telling myself I would never let a man treat me like shit and here I was weeping my heart out. The room swayed. I hoped I was dying, wished I was dying because that was better than what life had for me.