confusion or denial?

Author's note :

Guyyssss, thank you so much for reading this book and I hope you have fallen in love with it, just as much as I have. My dm is always open if y'all want to talk about "maybe " or just rant to me how you feel about it lol. I'll be down to listen, feedback is really appreciated. Please don't forget to vote, comment and share, it'll mean so much, hope you keep enjoying maybee

......................................................................

I eyed the man opposite me who was crouched, breathing heavily but held his sword in place, I adjusted my stance and launched at him causing him to go on the offense, our blades clashed and he ended up pushing me backwards.

sparring was more of stress relief for me than anything, song was almost always my partner because the palace guards and elites were always too scared to give it their all, a fact that still doesn't sit well with me.

The spar ended with the guard on his back and my blade on his neck, I withdrew and stretched out a hand to help him up

he looked surprised for a minute before grabbing it with both hands and quickly bowing, I snickered.

This has been the pattern for as long as I can remember, why they still showed surprised anytime I offered a hand was beyond me.

I turned towards the pillar of the training grounds to find bright blue eyes staring back at me.

*************

I stood watching the emperor train, I'd been stuck to his side more or less since the assassination attempt for

'protection'

I've watched him work through complaints from perians with absolute concentration,

I've seen him handle his ministers and generals with confidence, I've seen him look sadly at the stars or his mother's garden like they held answers that he desperately needed,

I've seen so much that I dont know what to do with and it scares me, he scares me.

he wore a loose red trouser and his hair fell across his face instead of his usual top knot, he was also shirtless, a fact I was trying to ignore.

I focused on his moves, they were sharp and quick, his movements spoke of years of training and silently I realized I hadnt seen him in combat till now.

Suddenly the match ended with the opponent on the ground and his eyes were on me. I sucked in a breath but met his gaze head on. belatedly I noticed he was walking towards me.

************
She bowed at me, we were the only two left in the clearing, her eyes met mine and I wondered once again if she knew she was the only one in the country that could get away with that.

Uncle asking me why flashed across my mind and I realized that I still have no answer.

"how long have you been standing there? " I asked looking down at her, she was atleast a head shorter than me.

"a while now, your highness " she replied and I nodded, an idea popping into my mind

"well then, train with me?" I asked and her eyes widened.

"you mean like sparr?" she asked still looking surprised and I tried to hide the amused smile that was threatening to grow on my face,

I nodded.

She bit her lip, something I've noticed she does when she's thinking alot about something, or when she's about to tear me a new one.

She finally nodded and I gave her a small smile.