it's always you

"what's on your mind? "I ask, leaning into his chest, eyes on the stars.

After leaving clen and lias place, we had walked into the palace later at night, startling the guards at the gates, he only nodded at them.

The rest of the palace was asleep and we ended up here, he had been quiet ever since

"I'm happy I met your friends" he says and I smile

"Aria loves you, I'm pretty sure you've taken my place as her favorite " I tease and he laughs, arms tightening around me.

"She's adorable " he says voice fond.

He had been so good with her, extremely attentive and carefree

"You were amazing with her "I say softly

"I panicked when you gave her to me, I don't exactly see alot of children, and my childhood wasn't exactly stellar. Father was more of tough love, but mother loved me enough for the both of them " he says voice getting lower and I squeeze his arms, understanding what he was trying to say.

"You're not your father, you'll be good with kids, you were amazing with aria" I say looking back at him,

His eyes are vulnerable again and I realize the topic might be more sensitive than he let on.

He smiles again and kisses me on my temple.

"The ministers want me to legalize compulsory enlistment " he says and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion

"what? " I ask and he explains

"I don't think that's fair " I reply honestly and he sighs

"I don't think so too, but they do have a point " he admits and I bite my lip

"Did you see all those people today? The smiles on their faces, how they were out there living their lives for themselves, you can't take that away from them, not when you promised them a world of peace, and if the other nations find out, they'll take it as a bad sign " I say voicing out my opinion.

"It's a horrible idea isn't it? " he asks sounding conflicted and I want to help.

" Maybe a different approach instead? Like opening up an academy for the arts, so they can get the basic skill set from there and continue if they want too. But not forcefully, it should be their choice "

When he doesn't say anything I look back at him and he's staring at me, eyes wide.

"First of all, heavens that was hot " I snicker

"And you're right, it's a good solution " he says smiling, tension draining from his face and I smile.

He kisses me, slow and soft and like always I melt into it, after he pulls back and meets my eyes, gaze sof

"you're amazing " he breathes out and I grin at him before pulling him back in.

"I've been told "

The next day I end up at the house of ty jai, one of the noble women I met yesterday, the first thing I notice is how extravagant it is before a servant leads me to the garden.

I smile at her and say thanks, she looks at me confused for a moment before hurrying away.

I breathe in before opening the doors, 8 pairs of eyes meeting mine.

The club consists of tea and embroidery and what I would give to be anywhere else?

The girls talk among themselves and I sit silently with a cup in hand