1| The Return

Present Day

"Logan!" I called from my bedroom. "Have you seen my car keys?"

He walked through the doorway, arms crossed over his chest and an amused expression on his face. "Really?"

I continued digging in my purse. "What? I swear they were right here. I don't want to be late to dinner. Wyatt's coming home and we haven't seen him in ages."

Correction: I haven't seen him in ages. After high school he decided to go away to college. I was partly the reason for that, even if he denied it. We've texted regularly and have spoken on the phone. But I've only seen him a handful of times. Now, we were graduates and he was coming home. Finally.

"Amelia, please tell me you're joking."

With a frustrated sigh, I looked up at him. "What?"

He nodded in my direction. "Look in your hand."

I opened my right hand and there they were. My car keys. "Oh, wow. Guess my mind is a little jumbled."

Logan smiled as he walked over and wrapped his arms around my waist. I placed my hands on his chest and looked up at him. "Stop stressing yourself out, Amelia. It's just dinner with my parents and Wyatt." He paused before adding. "Oh, I think his girlfriend, too."

My heart dropped a little and I made sure to keep my composure. "Girlfriend? Has your brother finally hopped on the commitment train?" God, I hoped not. For my own good, I hoped not.

"I don't think so. I think it's new. Like, really new."

Good. After the debacle at the graduation party four years ago, Wyatt went to UCLA and I stayed here and went to NYU. When the fall semester started, it was like nothing happened. We went right back to being friends. During Logan's Christmas party at their parent's house two year's ago, he asked me out on a date. I figured, what the hell? Wyatt gave us his blessing and didn't have a problem with it. One thing led to another...and here we were.

Logan's been trying to get me to move in with him, and I've been using the 'I'm not ready' excuse. It was true, I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready to see Wyatt tonight either. The last time I saw him, he seemed different and wouldn't open up to me.

"Ready?" Logan asked and my brain snapped to attention.

"Yes, let's go."

We walked out of my small apartment and Logan held the passenger door open for me while I slid inside his car. My knee shook anxiously while I waited for him to get in and start the ignition.

"Babe..."

"Yeah?" I asked as I looked at him.

"Your leg," he laughed.

"Oh! Sorry." Whenever I did that anxious shake thing I did with my knee, it seemed to annoy Logan. Not Wyatt. Wyatt always tried to make me feel better and settle down.

With all the craziness I've dealt with in my life, one thing I was sure about was Logan and Wyatt were polar opposites. Logan was the party type. He loved to go out with his friends, get drunk on the weekends, and go to sporting events. Wyatt, on the other hand, was the musician. He had a creative personality and liked to do things like camping, or spend the day reading a book. Unless something's changed, he was never much of a drinker either. He would have the occasional beer or glass of wine.

What if he was different now? What if he wasn't the same Wyatt I knew since I was little? I didn't think that I've changed, even though Logan tries to convince me otherwise. When it came to Logan, I think he's changed the way he sees me and that's why he says that.