33| The Fucking Idiot

A/N: To avoid confusion, this is the graduation night from Wyatt's POV. Its important that we see his side.

Wyatt & Lia
May 23, 2016
18 Years Old

"Congratulations, Wyatt. Your dad and I are so proud of you." 

My mom hugged me and I rolled my eyes. "Thanks, mom. I'm just glad high school is over." 

I looked around the large dining room. "Have you seen Lia?" 

My mom pulled away from me and pointed to the stairs. "I think she went upstairs." 

"Thanks." 

Before I went to find my best friend, I snuck into the empty kitchen and quickly downed a couple shots of Logan's tequila. Anything to settle my nerves. I was planning to tell Lia that I wanted to give us a real shot. After the night we had at prom, I couldn't stop thinking about it. About her.

I knew I was starting to develop feelings for Lia almost a year before that happened. I just saw her differently. She was amazing and beautiful. She was the most honest person I've ever known. It's been two months since we slept together. We just went back to being best friends after prom—both of us pretending like nothing ever happened. 

That didn't feel right; at least, not anymore. I felt like we should be more. We should give it a shot. So, I decided that tonight was the night I would tell her how I felt. I wanted to tell her that I wanted to have a real relationship.

"Here goes," I whispered and threw back another shot. 

Nervous about losing my courage, I hurried to the stairs and went to look for her. Following a hunch, I went to my bedroom and I saw her standing by the window. 

"Lia, what are you doing?" 

"I'm hiding," she answered and turned towards me, holding a glass of champagne. "There's a lot of people in there and this is all kind of..."

"Yeah," I breathed. I knew it was hard for her to be around large crowds. She had anxiety issues and I felt bad when she found out it wasn't just my parents and Logan here tonight. 

She opened her mouth like she was going to say something, but I beat her to it. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" 

"Yes, please," she said with a smile. 

"I'm a little drunk, too." 

She covered her mouth when she laughed before finishing her glass of champagne. "I guess we both needed a little social lubricant today." She frowned and glanced at the collar of my shirt. "Wyatt, your collar is messed up. Turn towards me." 

I couldn't do anything but watch her as she smoothed my collar. She was mesmerizing. When her eyes met mine, her hands stilled on my chest. Now. I should tell her now. 

I cupped the side of her face and stroked her cheek. Her eyes slid shut as I leaned in to kiss her. Just as our lips were about to make contact—

"I love you," she blurted. 

I pulled away from her immediately. "What?" 

Her voice was shaky. "I-- I do, Wyatt. I love you." She shifted nervously on her feet. "Wyatt, please say something." 

Panic hit me in an ice cold blast. I wanted to give it a shot with her—but love? I've seen what love could do to a person. I didn't want to lose her. I couldn't lose her. She was the best thing in my life since we met when I was six. She was my best friend. She was Lia. And I needed to make sure we stayed that way.