7| The Lake House

"So, is this a house? Or like...a cabin?" 

Logan laughed in the driver's seat as we merged onto the interstate. Normally, I would enjoy camping. I've gone camping before with Logan and his family, but not for two weeks. That was a lot of camping if that was the case.

"It's a house. A big one," he said with a laugh.

Well that didn't surprise me. Logan's parents were extremely wealthy. I was just glad they weren't the uptight kind.

"A house...how have I not seen this house? I've known you guys forever." 

"They bought it recently." 

I nodded absently as I kept my eyes on the road in front of us. I guess buying a house randomly wasn't that surprising. At least, not where his parents were concerned. I just hoped that I didn't have to share a room with Logan. He and I have stayed in hotel rooms before, but I really just wanted my own space. Especially since I would be in a new place. Trying to sleep in a new bed has never been easy for me. I just wasn't one of those people. 

"It's just us staying there, right? There's not some secret family reunion or something?" 

God, I sounded paranoid. I guess I was a little. In all fairness, Logan didn't really know about my panic attacks. I was worried that if there were a ton of people there, it might happen again. Maybe Wyatt was right. Maybe I should see someone about my anxiety. It wouldn't hurt. 

"Yes, it's just us. Since my brother got back, they've been wanting to have family time." He looked over and smiled at me before resting his hand on my thigh. "That includes you." 

I returned his smile and placed my hand on his. "Good. That sounds good." 

"Are we okay, Amelia?" He kept his eyes on the road."I mean...after our fight-- I just want to make sure we're good." 

Well, he had a reason to be unsure. The two of us hadn't really seen each other or talked since we had lunch outside of my office. He's been working and I've been keeping myself busy with shopping for clothes and getting everything ready to take with me on this trip.

I wasn't still mad at him for what happened. One thing I hated was holding grudges. We talked about it and he said he wouldn't interfere with my work anymore. He also said he would stop pressuring me about moving in together. I personally found that hard to believe. He wasn't really one to give up on something like that.

It wasn't because it was Logan. I liked being in a relationship with him. I had feelings for him and I was attracted to him. But the thought of actually cohabitating with someone terrified me. I wasn't ready. To be honest, I'm surprised he was. Unless this was all a way of him trying to hurry and marry me so we could have sex.

I'm not really sure what my problem was with that. Logan was a guy for crying out loud. I know he wanted sex. I told him from the beginning that I wanted to wait until marriage. I don't know why I said it like that. It just slipped out when he brought up the subject. At the time, he said he was fine with it.

I believed him. At the time. There were certain times, special occasions or when we've had a few drinks, where he would try to get me in the mood. I shut him down every time, but sometimes he got angry with me. Maybe it had something to do with my anxiety? Maybe while we are on this trip, he and I could try again. 

"Amelia?" 

"Sorry," I blinked my eyes repeatedly. "What?" 

"I asked if we were okay." 

"Oh, yeah." I squeezed his hand reassuringly. "We're fine. Maybe this trip will be good for us. We can spend some alone time together. You said it's on the lake right?"