12| The Truth

After our long talk on the boat, we finally made it back to the lake house. I was feeling worn out from the trip rather than relaxed. Logan's confession about the proposal definitely threw me. I knew he was stressed about work. Before we came on this trip to the lake house, Logan had been more stressed and on edge than usual. His father was a good man, but when it came to the business, he didn't allow shortcuts. Logan's behavior seemed to make a little more sense now.

"I told my dad I would meet him in town to go over some business," he said with a regretful expression.

We both got out of the car and Logan stopped me before we made it to the steps.

I shrugged a shoulder as I nodded. "Okay, no problem. I'm going to relax and take a bath. Its been a long day," I said with a laugh. Its been a long week, actually.

"Yeah," Logan replied. "I know it's been a lot for you." He leaned in and kissed me softly. "You're pretty amazing, Amelia."

"I know," I teased and we both laughed.

"Go get some rest," he said with a smile. "I'll see you later."

I waved goodbye to him before I made my way inside. The house was quiet as I started climbing the stairs to the third floor. I was dying to take a hot bath. Then I wanted to relax in my room for the rest of the night. Logan and I had a long talk on the boat. We decided to go through with the wedding, but we weren't in a hurry to move in together.

It was a weird situation, but I think it would be good for both of us. I needed to move on and stop clinging onto whatever I was feeling with Wyatt. I decided that I was going to talk to him asap and explain that we needed to leave the past in the past. I don't know what he was thinking last night, but that can't happen. If there was a time for Wyatt and I, it was back when I told him how I felt. Not when I was engaged to his brother.

When I finally got to the third floor, I walked straight to my door. I debated checking to see if he was back home and decided it might be better if I took a shower first. Just as I opened my bedroom door, I heard his voice.

"Lia?"

My hand froze on my door handle and I looked over at him. He was wearing a white t-shirt and running pants. Damn. Why did he always look irresistible? "Hey," I said casually. "I was looking for you this morning, but your mom said you left early." To go look for a new girl...

He stood in his doorway with his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, I needed to clear my head."

You and me both, I thought to myself. "Well, I hope you're feeling better." I started to walk into my room to escape the awkwardness.

"Lia, wait."

I stayed where I was, but I didn't face him. I heard his footsteps as he came closer. "Come with me, Lia. We need to talk."

A shiver went down my spine. That's what he said last night and we ended up kissing. I was hesitant to follow him into his room, but I did it anyway. He was right. We needed to talk about this.

I stepped into his room and heard the door shut behind me. He had a couch by the window and I went to take a seat. He walked over and sat across from me on the edge of his bed. His eyes met mine and we neither of us said anything for several minutes.

He finally cleared his throat. "Lia, I'm sorry about what happened."

"Which time?" The question flew out of my mouth before I could stop it. I wasn't trying to make him feel bad about the past, but I couldn't help the fact that I was hurting and confused. Bringing up all that stuff from the past reminded me of when I got hurt the first time.

"Both," he answered to my surprise. He ran his hands over his face. "I shouldn't have asked you those questions last night. I sure as hell shouldn't have kissed you."

"No, you shouldn't have, Wyatt." My voice was barely a whisper. "What the hell were you thinking? That wasn't like you. The things you were saying...it doesn't make sense. Where is all this coming from?"

He got up from the bed and started pacing back and forth. He rubbed at his shoulders; clearly trying to alleviate the tension there. "I never told you I didn't have feelings for you, Lia."

Not this again. "Yes, you did, Wyatt. Believe me-- I remember that night like it was yesterday."

"So do I." He walked over to the open door that led to the patio we shared. "I told you that we were friends. Best friends and that it wasn't going to happen. That's not the same thing." A tired breath escaped him. "I thought going to school in California would help. I thought the distance would make it easier."

"Make what easier, Wyatt?" I was trying to follow what he was clearly having trouble explaining to me. The things he was saying weren't making sense. Again. Everything about Wyatt seemed to confuse me lately. "Please, just help me make sense of what's happening. Why did you kiss me?"

He finally looked at me and there was pain in his eyes. So much pain that I got to my feet and took a few steps towards him. "No," he said and held a hand out to me. "Don't come close to me. Not-- not yet. I need to say this and I can't do it if you're close to me."

I stayed where I was. "Okay."

"I never said I didn't have feelings for you, Lia. I did have feelings for you." His face softened slightly. "How could I not have? You're Lia."

"You had...you felt something for me?" I had no idea what to think when I heard that. I had no idea what to feel. I barely understood what he was saying. My ears seemed to stop working, too. I covered my ears with my hands and tried to silence the humming that wouldn't go away. My heart was racing and I felt like I was losing it.

"Lia, breathe," he coaxed quietly. "It's okay. Take a deep breath."

I felt his hand on my shoulder and I stepped back. "It's not okay! Why? Why are you telling me this now? Why did you lie to me before?" I knew how my voice sounded. But I couldn't control-- anything. To be honest, this felt like some weird dream that I couldn't wake up from. The question was: was it a good dream...or a bad dream?

"I made mistakes, Lia. Mistakes I regret more than you understand."

"Stop talking in circles and tell me the truth, Wyatt."

He laughed lightly and I nearly lost it. What the hell was he laughing at?

"You know, I've never seen you like this." He reached out and ran his finger down the bridge of my nose. "Your face gets all scrunched up when you're mad. It's cute."

I froze when he touched me. His touch always seemed to give me pause. When he finally removed his hand from my face, he took a step back and I was grateful. I needed some breathing room.

"I thought going away to college would help," he explained. "I thought it would help you move on and date someone you could have a future with." He scoffed and shook his head. "Imagine my surprise when you told me you started dating Logan."

"You said you didn't care."

"Oh, I cared." His eyes met mine. "I got sick the first time you told me. Then after, all I could think about was the two of you. I couldn't fucking sleep. I kept picturing him kissing you, touching you, making love you...I couldn't fucking handle it."

That last part hit me like a freight train. Oh...shit. "Wyatt, that's--"

"I tried to date and see other women. I tried so hard to get images of my brother screwing you out of my mind; but I couldn't." He closed his eyes tight before he cursed under his breath. "I was so fucking jealous. I wanted you-- God, I wanted you. But he had you. He was the lucky bastard that got to sleep beside you and who had the privilege to make love--"

"I didn't sleep with your brother," I confessed in a rush.

He frowned and cocked his head to the side. It was like he didn't understand what I was telling him. "I'm sorry. What?"

"I didn't sleep with Logan." I walked up to him and placed my hand on his cheek. "Wyatt, I haven't made love to anyone...but you."

The silence that fell between us was deafening.