4| The Connection

"Do you want your usual?" Wyatt asked with a charming smile as I sat down next to him at the bar. "Or are Cosmos not your thing anymore?"

I laughed as I sat my purse next to me. The crack of a pool stick combined with the winning music of a dart machine sounded behind me. "Cosmos are still my thing," I told Wyatt with a laugh, "but I'm feeling something a lot stronger tonight."

"Bartender!" Wyatt called as he held up two fingers. "Can we get two shots of tequila, please?"

"Coming right up!" The bartender called.

Wyatt turned to me. "Do you want some food?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "I'm starving. I don't feel like making any decisions tonight, so you can order for me. You know what I like."

Wyatt ordered our food and I was counting down the minutes before the bartender brought us our shots. Maybe this night out would help clear my mind and make me feel a little better. God knows, I needed it. After all, I had this mysterious time off at work now. Speaking of...

I frowned and looked at Wyatt. "Do you know anything about a trip coming up?"

"A trip?"

"Yeah, apparently Logan had requested time off on my behalf at my job. I have no idea what it's for."

Wyatt closed his eyes briefly. Yep, he knew something. At least with Wyatt, I knew that he would tell me if I asked. "Yeah. It must be for the lake house. Our family is supposed to go down there for a couple weeks."

My eyes widened. "Weeks? Weeks!" The bartender sat my shot down and I threw it back. "Another one, please. And keep them coming."

"I take it you had no idea about this, did you?"

I scoffed. "No. I didn't. I found out from my boss when he told me it was approved."

This was just like Logan. Always making decisions for me. It's almost like, he thinks I'm going to say no, so he springs it on me last minute.

"I'm sorry, Lia."

I threw back my next shot. This alcohol needed to kick in already. I wanted to not think or get upset over all the stress I've been dealing with. I just wanted to enjoy my night out with my best friend.

"Are you and Logan doing okay?" he asked without looking at me.

I snorted at his question. "Aren't I supposed to bitch to my girlfriends about my boyfriend?"

"You don't have any girlfriends, Lia," he said with a laugh.

I frowned at that. I had girlfriends, didn't I? I mean, I had a few work friends but I wasn't close to many of them. Not close enough to talk about my relationship issues.

"Oh, my God," I breathed and looked at Wyatt. "I have no girlfriends. You are literally the only best friend that I have."

"Ouch."

"No!" I said sympathetically with a laugh. "I'm sorry. You know I didn't mean it like that. Besides, it doesn't change anything. This is weird. I can't bitch to you about my boyfriend because he's your brother."

He shrugged a shoulder. "Why not? You know I'll probably be on your side anyways," he teased.

I knew it was a mistake as soon as I looked at him. He was looking at me like he did whenever he tried to get his way when we were growing up. He had the pouty lips and the puppy dog eyes and I fell for it...just like I always did.

"Fine. But if I'm going to bitch to you about Logan, then first you need to tell me what happened with your girlfriend back in California."

Wyatt groaned and turned away from me.