18| The Text Message

"Did you enjoy your lunch?"

I smiled at Lynette from the passenger seat in her car. Well, it was officially Monday. I promised Lynette I would spend most of the day with her doing wedding planning stuff, then Wyatt was going to pick me up to take me to my doctor's appointment.

Of course, she didn't know about that. He thought him and I were going to go get dinner and see a movie. To be honest, I rather do that then go sit in a shrink's office and discuss my inner turmoil. But I knew I needed to at least try. My panic attacks were getting worse the more I got them and it needed to be addressed.

So, after I woke up this morning, Lynette dragged me to brunch and now we were on the way to go try on wedding dresses. Every time I heard the term 'wedding dresses', I cringed a little. It's all just felt so weird and...not me.

"Yes, I did. Thank you again, Lynette."

As I continue to stare out of my passenger window, I absently played with the necklace Wyatt had given me for my birthday. After the cookout yesterday, I went up to my room and stood in front of my mirror for what seemed like hours--just staring at the beautiful piece of jewelry.

It was eerily similar to my mother's necklace. I'll never forget the day I realized I lost it...

I ran up the stairs and busted into Wyatt's room. He looked up from his computer and immediately got to his feet when he saw my tear-streaked face.

"Lia? What's wrong?"

I was so upset, I couldn't even speak. He placed his hands gently on my shoulders and I continued to shake my head back and forth. I couldn't seem to catch my breath.

He wrapped his arm around me and led me to his bed where I sat down on the edge. He sat beside me and continued to rub comforting circles on my back. "Its okay, Lia. Take a deep breath."

I took several deep breaths before I wiped my eyes and finally turned towards him. "I lost it, Wyatt. Its-- it's gone."

He frowned at my words. "What is?"

I opened and closed my mouth repeatedly. I couldn't say it out loud. I placed my hand on my bare neck and his eyes followed. When his eyes widened slightly, I knew he realized the truth.

"Your mom's necklace?" he asked with a surprised tone. "How?"

Fresh tears ran down my cheeks. "I think on the camping trip we went on a few days ago." I wiped at my face repeatedly. "I thought maybe it was just wrapped up in my sleeping bag or in the duffle that I took. I tore my bedroom apart looking for it. I can't find it anywhere, Wyatt. It's gone."

He was quiet for a moment. I closed my eyes, feeling even more devastated than I was when I realized it was missing. Saying it out loud, telling Wyatt about it, made it way more real.

"Well find it, Lia," Wyatt said with conviction. "We'll have Logan drive us down there and help us look for it. Maybe someone turned it into lost and found. Maybe it's still at the campsite we were at."