9| The Dinner

“Logan?” I knocked on his bedroom door repeatedly. It was down the hall from mine and Wyatt’s, which wasn’t surprising. “Logan, I’m coming in.” 

I opened his door slowly and took a peek inside. It was dead silent. I walked into the large room and saw a messy, empty bed. There was a note on the bedside table addressed to me. 

Amelia,

Sorry to disappear on you. I went into town to run some errands with my dad. Maybe we can have our romantic boat ride tomorrow? I’ll be back before dinner. Love you.

Logan

“Errands? What the hell kind of errands do you have to do?” I said to the empty room like it was going to answer me.

“Hey, gimp.” 

I turned towards Wyatt’s voice and saw him standing in the doorway with a teasing smile. He was wearing his dark denim jeans and black t-shirt that showed off those delicious biceps. I wasn’t oblivious to the moment we shared at the lake yesterday. This time, I wasn’t drunk. I was pretty sure Wyatt was going to kiss me. But why? He didn’t feel that way for me. He made it pretty clear how he felt four years ago.

“Very funny,” I said as I walked towards him. 

“How’s the foot?” 

“It’s okay. Thank you, by the way.”

After we got back to the lake house yesterday, Wyatt examined my foot more closely and pulled out a small piece of glass. It didn’t appear infected and he was able to put some antibacterial cream on it and a clean bandage. It felt better today and walking wasn’t too bad once he got the shard out. 

“Anytime,” he said with a half smile. 

“So, do you know where your brother ran off to?” I held up the note. “This was kind of random. Logan doesn’t really ‘run errands’.” 

Wyatt walked towards me and read the note. “Not sure. I didn’t see him this morning and he didn’t mention anything.” He handed it back to me. “Anyway, my mom said she has breakfast ready.”

“Okay, let’s go eat. I’m starving anyway.” 

We made our way down to the very large, albeit beautiful kitchen, where Wyatt’s mom had the table setup and ready. There were platters of banana pancakes, bacon, sausage, and fruit. 

“Wow, Lynette, this looks amazing.” I took a seat at the table. “It smells amazing, too. I can’t believe you did all of this. You should have told me. I would have helped!" 

Lynette walked around the table and stood next to Wyatt. “Oh, no dear. I didn’t do this.” She pinched Wyatt on the cheek. “He just felt awful about your foot and got up early to make all this. I thought it was the sweetest thing.” 

Wyatt tried to hide his blush. “Thanks for that, Mom. I can always count on you.” 

She gave him a kiss on the cheek and headed back to the kitchen. Wyatt and I took our seats and he avoided making eye contact with me. I cleared my throat and tapped the table to get his attention. He was sitting across from me and when he looked up, I gestured to the large quantity of food. “You did all this? Why?”

He didn’t answer me right away. He continued to put a little bit of everything on his plate. I cleared my throat. It was like pulling teeth with him. “What? I felt bad. It was my fault that you hurt your foot.”

“I don’t blame you, Wyatt. But, thank you. This is really...sweet.” 

“Shut up and eat, Lia,” he grumbled.