1.5 | Diagonally

Long chapter ahead. Enjoy the trip through Diagon Alley!

x

Margaret approached Mrs Weasley, who looked positively relieved to see her and much to her surprise, enveloped her in a hug.

"Oh Margaret, I was worried about you!" Mrs Weasley exclaims in distress before pulling back and looking at her sternly. "Didn't I tell you to say the name very clearly?"

"Sorry Mrs Weasley," the girl apologises sheepishly before smiling cheekily, "It must have been my accent!"

The woman rolled her eyes at her.

"You are just like Harry. Come on now, we have got a long day ahead of us," she declares, pulling Margaret into the bank with her after dusting off some remaining soot from the girl's shoulder.

By the time the two reach the Head Goblin, Margaret couldn't help but have the look of absolute awe plastered on her face. The Goblin ended up staring at her strangely when she accidentally waved at him. Apparently, though, he was used to weird witches and wizards (or he just thought that all of them were weird) because he ignored her and looked down on whatever paper he was scribbling on.

"Name?" The goblin yells suddenly.

"Xenakis and Myrrdyn," Mrs Weasley replies in a much gentler tone.

The Goblin looks up again, this time seemingly sceptical.

Before he could open his mouth, Mrs Weasley handed him a letter that Margaret didn't notice her holding.

She looked around again, falling to the habit of always being curious about her surroundings and found that most of the Goblins had stopped working to look at her. Unnerved by this, she stuffed her hands in Hermione's trenchcoat that she had borrowed and straightened up, before forcing herself to look at the Head Goblin.

"I will have to check if the vaults of her family still exist," he speaks after a moment and motions another goblin to come over.

He whispered something to him just as Margaret heard the sounds of the other goblins slowly starting to get back to their work. The other goblin disappeared and the Head Goblin returned to his work, leaving them to stand in silence.

Eventually, the other goblin came back with a set of papers that seemed old with the brown colour that had taken over them. The Head Goblin looked through the papers and Margaret tilted her head to the side when he occasionally shot odd looks her way.

"V-very well then, she already has a vault," he stammers, slamming the file shut. "You will be in vault 9; Gornuk will take you there. You also have a vault by your mother's bloodline, however, you need to be of age to operate it."

Margaret took the time to do the math. Technically, her physical age was sixteen, which meant she was already of age in the Wizarding World. However, since Dumbledore had allowed her to join Year 5 along with the Golden Trio, and the Ministry had made a fake birth certificate for her, on which she was... fifteen?

Well, shiitakes mushrooms on a stick, that's just bloody great.

While she pondered over her age and birthdate, the Head Goblin took the long moment to shuffle through the desk on which he sat, finally pulling out a small golden key. Well, assuming it was gold since it seemed so antique with its intricate designs that have faded slightly into brown on the deeper parts.

Margaret gingerly took it from his long fingers, slightly wary as if it was toxic.

"This way please," Gornuk says. Margaret looked at Mrs Weasley who urged her forward and the two followed him to a dark cart that seemed as if it had come out of a mine. "Go in, please."