1.9 | The Ministry's Puppet

When the rest of the students, all first years, get sorted; everyone looked eager to start eating as Dumbledore took the podium once again.

"To our newcomers - welcome! To our old hands - welcome back. There is time for speech-making, but this is not. Tuck in!"

The hall broke out into a burst of appreciative laughter and applause as the food appeared out of nowhere.

Margaret could easily bet that it was some of the best food she'd ever had, pies and dishes of vegetables, bread, sauces, and flagons of pumpkin juice. Everything was absolutely delicious; the bowls of various treats filled themselves to the brim every time the food in them finished and the hard work of the house-elves in the kitchens paid off when every single student enjoyed the food to the very last bite. No one talked, only asking to pass stuff here and there, all too busy in munching down the dinner.

Everyone looked positively drowsy at the end of the satisfactory feast. As the noise level in the hall was starting to creep upward again, Dumbledore got to his feet once more. The talking ceased immediately as all turned to face the headmaster.

Margaret's eyes shifted behind to the woman dressed in all pink, sitting amongst the teachers, a smile on her toad-like face. The girl rested her head in her palm, knowing what was coming

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices," starts Dumbledore.

"First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students - and a few of our older students ought to know by now too."

Margaret shot the trio a knowing look, noticing the smirks they exchanged.

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons while Professor Hagrid is on leave; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

It was obvious to everyone that this Umbridge did not know what she was getting herself into. For the past four years, the Defense Against the Dark Arts position seemed to have been cursed, with all the teachers at that post suffering a worst fate than their predecessor.

Dumbledore continues, "Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the-"

He paused, and there was a moment when nobody understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then Professor Umbridge says, "Hem, hem," and it became clear that she had got to her feet - not much taller than she was while sitting - and was intending to make a speech.

Dumbledore only looked taken aback for a moment; then he sat back down neatly and looked alertly at Professor Umbridge as though he desired nothing better than to listen to her talk.

Margaret could only wish that she could learn to behave the way the wise Headmaster did, the practised perfection of pretending.

Others were not as skilled at hiding their surprise. Professor Sprout's eyebrows had disappeared into her hair, and Professor McGonagall's mouth was as thin as it could be. Many of the students were smirking; this woman clearly did not know how things were done at Hogwarts.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge says, smiling and revealing very pointy teeth, "for those warm words of welcome." Her voice was high-pitched, breathy, and like that of a little girl.

"She was at my hearing," Harry tells Hermione, Ron and Margaret, "At the ministry. She was one of the few who were against clearing all the charges."