1.0 | The Girl Who Saw Tomorrow

Margaret Xenakis felt as though she'd been through hell, Arizona and back.

She stiffened and stopped breathing when a familiar spark ignited in her muscles, making her feel as if her muscles were on fire and she was going to burn from inside out.

A moan of protest left her pale lips at the same moment the glass of water on the bedside table next to her shattered into tiny pieces.

But the girl paid no mind, as in a few moments, thankfully, the ringing in her ears subsided.

One of the first things she heard was a gasp and footsteps then a door being pulled open. A girl, she assumed, yelled at the top of her lungs which made Margaret want to chuck something large and heavy at her.

"MUM! SHE'S AWAKE! SHE'S AWAKE!"

Margaret's senses were going haywire as they had back when she had first got her powers, but there was an odd sting on the side of her neck that was making her left shoulder and left arm twitch.

Her breathing was ragged and she groaned again as the house shuddered with thunderous footsteps.

A moment later, there were soft voices around the room, coming closer and closer to where she laid. It was followed by a soft hand that caressed Margaret's forehead, tucking back some stray strands of her dark hair behind her ear.

Margaret tried to get a grip on herself, wondering since when had her father become so darn caring. She tried to pry her eyes open but it was as if they were glued shut.

"Oh, move back you all! Give her some space," says a woman who did not sound like her father in a bit. She might be saying it softly but each syllable seemed like a bullet to the girl's head.

Margaret exhaled softly, turning her face away from the general direction of the woman's voice and nuzzled into the soft pillow under her head but felt slightly guilty when the kind touch retracted.

Someone suddenly gasps, "Her neck! Harry, look at her-"

"I see it, I see it," mutters Harry, whoever that was, though his voice is laced with obvious fear. "Who is she? Can someone tell me what is-"

"Shhh!"

Thankfully, the people stopped talking and Margaret tried her best to gather her wits to deduce where the heck she was and what the heck were these people doing here. Trying to calm her breathing and racing heartbeat, she flinched slightly when the bed dipped, indicating that someone had sat down on her left.

There were voices in her head that are not her own thoughts, but those of the people that surrounded her. She tried to block them out and shut the walls of her brain, succeeding for the most part due to her self-training, just occasionally hearing 'how is this possible?' and 'who in Merlin's saggy pants is she?'

The latter confused Margaret enough to finally force her eyes open. Everything was bright and blurry and just as quickly she shut her eyes again.

No one said anything but she could hear their softest moments and smallest whispers due to her heightened senses. She ignored it and tried her best to remember when and where she had passed out.

The last thing that Margaret recalled was having dinner alone at night... then she went to bed. Yes, she did go to sleep. Though this didn't seem like her bed, the comforter didn't smell the same and neither was her bed so darn soft.

Shifting to her right and away from the person sitting next to her, the girl stiffened, expecting to feel the pain shoot down her spine but frowned when nothing came.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to continue her thought process, knowing that she had to open her eyes sooner or later and she really didn't want to ask these strangers how she ended up here.