PROLOGUE

"They had been silent," the grave tone of Kingsley Shacklebolt informs the Order of the Phoenix. "Ever since he returned. Then this week, they are targetting any and every vulnerable person. This is the first attack on muggles. The ministry is keen to turn a blind eye towards it, not wanting to believe he's back."

A whole month has passed since the last task of the Triwizard Tournament and since Voldemort had come back. His followers have started targetting wizarding families and muggle resident areas, making everything look like accidents.

"Where did you say it happened, again?" Arthur Weasley questions, breaking the tense silence that had blanketed over them.

"Muggle London, Borough of Islington. Just four streets away from King's Cross," Kingsley replies, his eyes flickering to Headmaster Dumbledore who sits at the head of the table, his old wise eyes contemplating behind his half-moon spectacles.

"Filthy creatures; cowards, I tell you! Attacking defenceless non-magical people," grumbles Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody.

"He's right, you know?" Ron whispers from where he and Hermione, Ginny, Fred and George crouched on the stairs with extendable ears slipped under the door.

Hermione quickly shushes him, in worry of getting caught and as if on cue the fireplace chimes, alerting that someone has just flooed in. Quickly getting off their awkward position on the floor, the five of them slip back into the living room to find a very flustered Remus Lupin.

Before anyone else could utter a word, Lupin makes his way towards the dining room, running into Ron and his friends in his hurry.

"What are you lot doing in here?" the former D.A.D.A. professor frowns, fatigue visible in his scarred features.

"Uh, well, you see..." Ron begins unhelpfully, shutting his mouth when Hermione jabs him in the ribs in a warning.

"Nevermind," Lupin shakes his head, "It'd be better if you come with, now."

The five teenagers were quite stunned by this request, as they had been banned from the Order meetings from the start. Even Fred and George weren't allowed, despite of being of age.

Neither of them took time to question, only sharing perplexed looks before following Remus to the kitchen of the gloomy house. The rest of the Order present - including Mr and Mrs Weasley, Alastor Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt and Severus Snape - eye the underaged and prohibited attendants warily. Albus Dumbledore does not seem to mind this time.

"Is there anything found of importance, Remus?" asks Albus Dumbledore patiently, seemingly as calm as ever.

"I went to have a look at the apartment building where the Death Eaters attacked, that perhaps this was their way of threatening us as the place isn't too far from King's Cross and is home to many witches and wizards but also muggles. The Aurors didn't expect any survivors because... well, the killing curse was used and then the cursed fire... I was careful to go there before them, earlier this morning, ahead of the official search," he explains. Dumbledore already knew this as he had instructed Lupin to do so. 

"However," Remus hesitates slightly, "I did find someone... A girl who looks about fifteen... I have never seen her before, not even at Hogwarts. But Professor..." Remus pauses, eyes flickering somewhat nervously around the room, "She was hit too... with the curse; she has to be. Though a witch, she's still alive."

"She survived? But that's impossible!" Ron exclaims suddenly, earning glares from his friends for dragging everyone's attention to the group.

"And the cursed fire?" Severus Snape hisses, the Slytherin's existence in the room forgotten by everyone prior to this. Though his point is logical. The whole seventh floor of the building was burned down by a cursed fire that was impossible to live through.

Remus shakes his head but not in a sad manner. 

"She was completely unharmed except for a few scratches here and there, and a nasty scar on her neck."

"Then maybe she wasn't there when the initial invasion took place," Arthur reasons.

"We can only tell for sure when she wakes up," Remus shrugs.

"Where is she now?" Molly Weasley asks in a worried tone.

"I was wondering if we could move her to a spare bed at Grimmauld Place since we're moving there today, aren't we? With Hermione and Ginny, perhaps. I hope that's not too much of a problem, I didn't want to take any chance with the Aurors, especially by admitting her into St. Mungo's," Remus says.

"No, no! Of course not. It's a good idea. She'll be less panicked if she wakes up surrounded by children her age," Molly replies, sounding relieved that the young girl who probably lost her family due to the Death Eaters, is now in a safe place at the very least. As silence blankets over them once again, many glance towards the eldest person in the room for guidance.

"Professor, how do you suggest we find out who she is?" Kingsley Shacklebolt asks.

However, the man in question, Albus Dumbledore, knows exactly who the girl is and where she is from. He is as curious about her as anyone in the room but at the same time, he has more knowledge about her than anyone else. Not wanting to leave the Order of the Phoenix in the dark, he nods to himself as he agrees with his mental decision.

"I have an inkling as to who it is. The girl is Margaret Xenakis," he begins, his eyes trained at the century-old wooden table as he ponders. "She does not come from our world, but a world far away in not only years but also realms."

Glancing at each other with bewilderment and odd expressions, both the younger and the older ones are unable to form a coherent question. They know Dumbledore and he wouldn't say something without a rough idea. However, it does not mean that the man is not well known for speaking in riddles. 

Hermione Granger is the first one to gather her wits. "Professor, what do you mean by 'realms'? And years? Do you presume she used a time-turner?"

"No, I presume not. It does not allow one to travel between worlds. I understand that it is quite absurd to think about other-worldly beings. I was quite astonished myself when I first discovered the adventures of her ancestors."

"She came here on her own will? Wouldn't that be breaking the laws of not only the Ministry but also of nature?" Kingsley questions concernedly.

"Miss Xenakis was brought here. I assume she would be very confused to see everyone and to find out who we are. However, there is a reason why she is the one to be chosen."

"But why was she brought here, sir?" Arthur Weasley voices.

Finally looking up, Dumbledore meets the curious but worried gazes of the Order members and Hogwarts students alike. "Because I asked for her to be brought here. As much as I do not agree with challenging the laws of nature and magic alike; times, it seems, are getting darker. And one needs light to get through the darkness, but also something to hold one's companions together as to not lose them while fighting for the righteous cause."

As clear as the old Headmaster's words are, they are just as difficult to understand.

Thankfully, a crash proves to be a distraction as one official-looking barn owl rams straight into the kitchen's window, to his leg is tied the news of Harry Potter's expulsion from Hogwarts.