1.37 | A Golden Pumpkin

It was astounding how dark the halls of Hogwarts were at night – or well, early morning. For Margaret, it was way too early. Yes, she woke up at the crack of dawn, but this was not the crack of dawn-

"Keep up, keep up! Or we're gonna miss it!"

"You're way too excited at this hour," she groans groggily. "Tell me again, why did I agree to this?"

Fred grinned at her over his shoulder.

"Because I'm incredibly charming and my morning voice is so attractive, you couldn't say no?"

She sighed hopelessly. He wasn't half-wrong, but she wouldn't tell him that. She continued to sluggishly climb up the metal stairs after him.

Fred was, as usual, very energetic. He took two stairs at a time and bounced on the balls of his feet as he waited for her. His excitement was childlike, and her initial annoyance at him for waking her up at this ungodly time vanished. Now it just made her smile.

"C'mon, hurry!"

"You could've just told me where we were going and I could've just teleported there," she huffs, realising for the umpteenth time that she was getting really unfit. "Then you'd have had to keep up..."

"And ruin the surprise?" he says incredulously. "Hell no!"

"Honestly, Fred, what's up the Astronomy tower at" – she checks her watch – "six in the bloody morning?"

"Honestly, Margie, have you forgotten what day it is today?" he asks in the same exasperated tone like her.

Margaret blinked in confusion, still feeling the sleep in her eyes. What day was it, again?

In all honesty, her sense of time had gone haywire lately. Her mind, which usually kept up with the prospect of the rapidly approaching future, was falling behind in the streak of events. Whist her conscious suffered because behind her closed eyelids flashed a pair of unrecognisable mismatched eyes, staring right into her soul.

At any rate, she had a terrible habit to ignore things she could not, for the life of her, begin to understand. Hence why the vision she saw the other day after touching that darned book was pushed to the back of her mind. It was not immediately important... or so she hoped.

Moreover, studies took up most of her time anyway. When she was not studying, she was in the D.A. meetings. Harry seemed to be doubling his efforts as of late in his understandable spite against Umbridge who was doing her best to control every aspect of life at Hogwarts.

By the time Margaret went to bed late at night, her mind was filled with the history of the Giant War, diagrams of Jupiter's moons, laws of Transfiguration and wand moments for defence spells.

"Helluuu? Earth to Margie?" Fred calls, having reached the top of the spiral staircase.

He had an incredulous look plastered on his face, and Margaret realised that she had zoned out. She quickly racked her brain for today's date. But Fred was impatient.

"I can't believe you asked me out and forgot about it!"

Oh, right! Valentine's Day!

Yikes, was it today? Hold on, she had asked him to go with her to Hogsmeade. Then why were they-

"MARGIE!"

"Coming!"

Appearing on the top of the tallest tower at Hogwarts, Margaret took a well deserved deep breath. The air was colder and thinner up there. Though when her eyes opened again, the most horrifying sight met her.