1.42 | Treachery

April fluttered around with Fred and George's birthday.

They were certainly in for a surprise when they woke up with a nutcracker-sized marching band marching on the floor with plates of breakfast bewitched to follow them in their wake. Not only were there several gifts surrounding their beds as there was every year, but there was also a giant banner hanging from their bedposts saying in large gold letters 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRED & FORGE'. Their friends surrounded their dorm room, wearing party hats and carrying plates of food.

"Happy birthday!" Margaret exclaims cheerfully, putting her plate on the bedside table and hugging Fred who was beaming excitedly.

"Did you do all this?!" asks George from the bed opposite, already opening up the cards he had gotten.

"With some help!" she shouts, her voice muffled in Fred's shoulder, who refused to let her go. He nuzzled his face in the crook of her neck, knowing she was ticklish, and she laughed, trying to squirm away from him.

"Did you get any sleep at all, pumpkin?" asks Fred, her scent of cocoa the best thing to wake up to.

"I was too excited to sleep!" she answers, swaying them slightly.

He wished he could just lay back and go to sleep with her in his arms, but there were too many people around at this ungodly hour of - he peeked at the clock above the window - six-thirty in the morning... Besides she had clearly worked hard for this.

"Fred!" she drawls, shaking with laughter. "C'mon,  you've got to open all the gifts everyone's got you-!"

"No."

"Mrs Weasley's parcel barely got through Umbridge's screening process on time-"

"I don't wanna let go," he groans into her hair playfully.

"Fred!" she laughs. "Come on!"

"I'm the birthday boy- man?"

"Yes, you're the birthday boy-man," she jokes, squealing when he pokes her waist to tickle her. "We can cuddle later-"

He perked up. "Promise?"

Margaret laughed. "I promise."

Fred nodded, finally releasing her from his hug. Still chuckling, she used telekinesis to lift the plates of breakfast over to the twins on their beds.

"Happy birthday," Harry says to them from where he took a seat on the end of George's bed. He chuckled as Ron nearly tripped over the marching band, his plate raised above his head.

"Bloody hell," says Ron, stumbling over to the window where Hermione was sat, drinking coffee. "A menace, those toys."

"Oi! You're just jealous 'cause you didn't wake up to such awesomeness," says Fred. "Thanks, pumpkin."

"If Ron had his way, he would just stay in bed on his birthday," Ginny says, looking amused as she sat cross-legged on Lee's bed with him.

"When it's my birthday, I'd rather do what I like," he says with defiance.

"Which is eat and sleep," Harry comments teasingly, ducking as Ron threw at him a pillow from Fred's bed.

Fred protested, his words entirely illegible with his mouth full.

"Careful, or you'll spill the food," says Hermione.

Once they were done eating, the twins moved to sit on the ground to open their many gifts.

Many of their friends from the seventh year had joined them in the dorm, which was now entirely filled with people chatting, drinking butterbeer that Lee had sneaked from the kitchens, all of them rather excited for April Fools.