1.49 | The Day of Tomorrow Pt. 2

The powerful shield charm that Margaret had cast over the seven of them rippled in the air. It was an added protection, albeit even for a few minutes so that none of them could be caught off-guard. 

Harry stepped up next to Margaret, wand in one hand and the orb of prophecy in other.

"Where's Sirius?" he demands.

Several Death Eaters laughed. A woman with frenzied curly hair and rotten yellow teeth strolled up next to Lucius. "The Dark Lord always knows!" she exclaims triumphantly.

"Always," Malfoy agrees. "Now, give me the prophecy, Potter."

"I want to know where Sirius is!"

"I want to know where Sirius is!" mimics the woman. She and her fellow Death Eaters were closing in but seeing the glimmering shield, they paused. "WHO CAST THE SHIELD?!"

"Easy, now, Bella," says Malfoy softly, eyes flickering to Margaret. "Granted, Potter has some capable friends... Nothing to worry about."

"You've got Sirius," Harry repeats, ignoring the rising dread he had been fighting since they first entered the ninety-seventh row. "He's here. I know he is."

"The little baby woke up fwightened and fort what it dweamed was twoo," taunts the woman in a horrible, mock-baby voice. Ron stirred as though he desired nothing else than to hex her.

"Don't do anything," Harry mutters to him warningly. "Not yet-"

The woman let out a shrill scream of laughter. "You hear him? You hear him?! Giving instructions to other children like he thinks of fighting us!"

"I know Sirius is here!" Harry says once more, desperate this time. "I know you've got him!"

More of the Death Eaters laughed, though the woman still laughed loudest of all.

"You know, you should have been able to tell the difference between dreams," Malfoy echoes, smirking once again, "and reality. You saw only what the Dark Lord wanted you to see... Now hand me prophecy... Or we shall start using our wands."

"If you do anything to any of us, I'll break it," Harry threatens daringly.

The woman let out another shrieking laugh, now standing right next to Lucius. "He knows how to play," says she, twirling a strand of her haywire hair with her crooked wand. "Itty bitty baby, Potter."

"Bellatrix Lestrange..." mutters Neville from Margaret and Harry's right.

Bellatrix's mad eyes turned into slits as she gazed at him, her yellow, cracked teeth visible as she grinned maniacally. "Neville Longbottom, is it? How's mum and dad?" she mocks.

"Better now that they're about to be avenged," says Neville quickly, lifting his wand with a Stunning spell on the tip of his tongue before Harry pushes him back.

"Let's everybody just calm down, shall we?" articulates Malfoy slowly. "All we want is that prophecy."

"Why did Voldemort need me to come and get this?" questions Harry, for he could not think of what to do but to keep talking.

He shifted so that his elbow brushed Margaret's, hoping she had some sort of plan because his mind was blank. It was then he noticed that her free hand was hidden slightly behind her back and he thought he saw a hint of red.

Harry stole a quick glance at the ground without moving his head and saw that very thin shining red tentacles were slowly streaking out of the shield and wrapping themselves around the Death Eaters' feet, but they had not noticed this yet.