1.38 | The Unopened and the Untouchable

Fred and George's fate was hanging on a thin thread. And if they went down, Margaret was going down with them without hesitation.

"Miss Xenakis," Dolores Umbridge says, surprised. "What might you be doing here? When I saw you leave with them?"

"Miss Xenakis was here because I called her to know how she has been finding Hogwarts so far," Dumbledore answers simply. "It is my responsibility as a Headmaster."

"Right," says Umbridge, smiling in a sceptical manner.

Dumbledore glanced at Fred and George to Professor McGonagall. "I take it, some mischief has been caused?"

"Oh, more than some mischief was caused," says Umbridge before Professor McGonagall could speak. "These two students, along with their friend Mister Lee Jordan, wreaked absolute havoc in Zonko's Joke Shop and caused three innocent students to end up with grave injuries."

Zonko speaks up politely, "Now, Professor, it was not that-"

Umbridge held up a hand. "Mr Zonko, it is very kind of you to defend these two students; although they are very well known for their notorious ways. And wrongdoers must be taught a tougher lesson than simple detentions."

"What do you suggest we do then?" Professor McGonagall asks, tone laced with incredulity. "Expel them?"

"That is exactly what I am suggesting, Minerva," Professor Umbridge responds sweetly.

Fred and George's faces were beginning to turn red in anger. Margaret never believed in the phrase glaring daggers until that moment when she saw them glaring at Umbridge with so much hatred, she was surprised the woman herself couldn't physically feel it.

"Expel them?!" Zonko questions in disbelief, turning to Dumbledore. "No, I do not wish to have them expelled at all! They are incredible young men with bright futures, Dumbledore; the damage to my shop is not as severe as it looks, nothing I can't fix with a few spells-!"

"Mr Zonko, again, it is very kind of you to try to defend these troublemakers," Professor Umbridge says sweetly. "However, it is not only a matter of the damage to your shop but also, much more importantly, a matter of the values and the prestigious reputation of Hogwarts School."

Headmaster Dumbledore listened to the argument in front of him patiently, not interrupting; which only put Margaret more on the edge. He did say that keeping Umbridge from expelling a student was no longer in his control. What were they going to do? Fred and George cannot be expelled, they were needed here!

Professor Umbridge turned to Dumbledore with a wicked glint in her eyes, continuing, "According to Educational Decree Number Thirty-One, the High Inquisitor has the right to expel a misbehaving student or students, bypassing the Headmaster's-"

"I know; I have read it," says Dumbledore, cutting her off. "Then why, must I ask, have you come to me?"

The woman blinked, taken aback. Then, letting out a tiny giggle, she looked at Dumbledore with the irksome patience of someone teaching a toddler that one plus one equals two, she says, "I have come here to inform you that I am expelling Mister Weasley, Mister Weasley and Mister Jordan."

Fred, George and Professor McGonagall spoke up at once:

"THAT'S UNFAIR! YOU WON'T EXPEL MALFOY-!"

"It is their NEWTs' year, Dolores, have some consideration-!"

"I- I think this is going too far, Professor, you mustn't expel them," Zonko adds, looking quite out of place yet worried for the twins.

Margaret continued to panic silently.