1.19 | Wriggled Web of Words

This chapter is dedicated to Setapet and flower6505

-x-

It was about two weeks later when Hermione stopped in her tracks on their way to lunch, pulling Margaret back by her robe hood. How she managed to do that with arms full of books was a wonder...

Margaret let out a little squeak of surprise, opening her mouth to ask what in god's good world was wrong with her; when Hermione suddenly started speaking to a bypassing person.

"Cho! Hey, I'm Hermione. We met the other day," she says. The Asian girl halts in her tracks, as does her friend.

"Oh, hi, Hermione," Cho greets, rather confused. "This is Marietta, by the way. Marietta Edgecomb."

Margaret narrowed her eyes at Marietta Edgecomb as she waved, looking rather bored. Her eyes, however, were alert and almost glared at Hermione.

"Hi," Hermione says before casting a look around the fairly empty corridor and lowering her voice. "Listen, um... We were wondering if you'd be interested in learning Defense Against the Dark Arts... The proper way."

Cho frowned, exchanging a glance with Marietta.

"And go against that Umbridge woman and indirectly challenge the Ministry?" Marietta questions disbelievingly, her voice deep.

"I wonder how learning magic in a magical school could be considered challenging the Ministry," Margaret replies flatly.

"Besides, you have your NEWTs next year, don't you?" Hermione adds. "You'd need to learn the practical bit too. So would we, for our O.W.Ls this year."

Cho speaks up timidly before Marietta can reply. "Will... Harry be there?"

"If all goes well, he'd be the one to teach us," Hermione says, sounding more confident about it than she felt.

"We'll think about it," Cho tells them, exchanging a small smile with Margaret.

"Great," Hermione says cheerfully. "We'll be meeting us in Hog's Head during the first Hogsmeade weekend in October. It's right off the beaten track, past Zonko's."

Cho nodded, and Marietta looked like she was about to protest but Margaret interrupted before she could.

"If you can," she says, "tell only your trusted friends about this. Wouldn't want the wind blowing in the wrong direction."

Cho nodded once more. "Have a good day, you two."

Hermione and Margaret bid their farewell to the two Ravenclaws and resumed their trip to the Great Hall.

"Refrain from nearly strangling me the next time you want to talk to a bystander, please," Margaret complains, rubbing her neck.

Hermione gives her a sheepish smile. "Sorry..."

"It's all right," Margaret says. "So, we're inviting people we know to Pig's Face?"

"Hog's Head. And yes, I've asked Ginny and Neville so far. They both agreed. I think Ginny's asked Padma and Parvati," Hermione trails off.

Margaret nods slowly, giving Hermione a side glance as they enter the Great Hall. "Does... Harry know you're inviting Cho?"

Hermione's lips twitch into a smile. "He will know soon enough."

Margaret snickered as the two sat down in front of Ron and Ginny. The former was munching on sausage and the latter was holding her empty fork in one hand and a quidditch magazine in another, her mouth slightly agape.