1.48 | The Final Moments

THE GIF ABOVE!! AAAHH!!

-x-

In the entrance hall was a slow-moving cloud of crimson telekinesis, swirling, shifting, crackling with undeniable power as it scrapped at the stone ground and left long scratches. The torches in the columns above were burning with not normal yellow fires, but with blazing red flames licking the stone walls behind.

In the eye of the storm, that was held at bay but seemed ready to close in, stood Margaret and Umbridge.

Dolores Umbridge had never been so terrified of anything in her life. Her pink cardigan was streaked with dirt and her hair was haywire after the fight outside, but her eyes were wide and she was positively quaking in terror.

Raising her wand, she attempts to say, "Expelliar-"

Her own wand tore out of her grasp and pointed itself at her throat.

"Miss Xenakis," she chokes out, looking at the girl who seemed to be an unrecognisable monster... "M- Margaret... Calm down, dear-"

Margaret did not speak; but her powers closed in threateningly on Umbridge, crackling like thunder.

Outside of the ring of fire, a crowd of horrified students formed; among them were teachers and ghosts as well. The Professors huddled together, speaking in low tones and stealing glances at Margaret. They seemed to know something the students did not.

Harry looked as startled as he felt, Hermione had tears in her wide eyes and Ron looked alarmed, none of the three know what would the consequences would be. Next to them, Daphne stared with wide eyes, her hands covering her mouth.

And then someone broke out of the crowd and forced his way through the cloud of telekinetic energy, prompting startled screams and gasps from the onlookers.

Margaret's mind could no longer tell the difference between friend and foe, so her first reaction when she felt a hand on her shoulder was to throw the person away. As her powers began to oblige, the person said:

"Margaret, calm down..."

The voice was familiar, and unlike Umbridge, it was not of someone she wanted to hurt.

She could hear their thoughts; she could recognise them... Her brows drew closer slightly and her powers paused as though unsure.

"Listen to Mister Malfoy-" squeaks Umbridge.

Draco widened his eyes at the foolish Headmistress and she spoke no more.

"Margaret...?"

Daringly, he gently took a hold of her wrist with his free hand, her arm jerking at the sudden touch. Her powers began coiling up his hand but they did no more than tickle him.

"You don't want to do this," he says calmly. Even if his heart was in his throat. "You know you don't."

The voice seemed far away and muffled as though she was underwater.

The thoughts, on the other hand... In the thoughts was a familiar face: One that she longed to see every single day, one identical to hers in many ways – especially when surrounded by a destructible force similar to what she had created at the moment.

The boy in the thoughts and memories which were not her own smiled a friendly smile...

Margaret gasped, stumbling back into Draco.

And suddenly, the cloud of crackling energy collapsed, blowing a gust of wind in all directions and forcing the onlookers to shield their eyes; Umbridge's wand clattered to the ground and the woman took several hasty steps back.