1.17 | Light In The Darkness

This chapter is dedicated to DeepakGulrajani and apPppl3 ❤️

-x-

To say Draco Malfoy was annoyed would be an understatement. His dusty-grey eyes glared daggers at the back of Margaret's head as he wordlessly shook his wand and the Lumos disappeared.

"Xenakis!"

Margaret didn't reply, keeping her back towards him but feeling her shoulders slump on their own accord. Was it too much to ask for some peace and quiet?

"You can't be out here- are you listening to me?" Draco barks.

"What do you want?" Margaret groans, peeking over her shoulder, wishing he'd just disappear.

For some reason, Draco felt a sense of déjà vu wash over him when Margaret said that; as if he had lived through this moment before or maybe he had seen it in a dream. Quickly as it had come, Draco got rid of the feeling.

"That's no way to talk to a Prefect, now is it?" he mocks, slowly starting to walk up the left passage. "I'm going to take away points from Gryffindor - even more, if you don't return to the castle this instant."

"Go ahead," she says, accidentally gesturing with her left hand and flinching. She continues anyway, "you take as many points as it takes to satisfy your heart's desire and then leave me alone."

"What? Not going to throw any of your illiterate sarcasm at me?" Draco says, a smirk dancing on his face. He twirled his wand between his fingers as he approached her, "Scared, Xenakis?"

Margaret scoffs, shooting him a side glance, "Scared? Of what, the boats?"

Instantly, Draco scowls, "Ten points from Gryffindor. Now, return to the castle - from the outside route - right this moment."

"Done?" Margaret questions flatly, blinking rapidly and taking a deep breath. "Now, skedaddle there, snake. Go back to your pit and leave me the hell alone."

"I am only doing my job as a Prefect - catching misbehaving students out of bed after curfew," he spits angrily, eyes narrowed. "You need to be careful now, with that sharp tongue of yours. Unless you're a bit politer, hanging out with scums like the Weasleys and Saint Potter, it'll rub off of you."

Margaret felt like she was fading in and out of reality.

She didn't know what was happening to her. The cuts on the back of her hand were shooting painful waves up her arm - her respect for Harry's abnormal pain tolerance increasing - whilst her powers were probably confused due to the strong emotions she was trying to sort through before Draco had interrupted her.

She had no desire to hurt him but she didn't have full control over herself.

Draco had reached the balcony by now and was glaring at her from a few feet to her left. He continues when she doesn't say anything, "Not so brave, are we? Now that you are all alone... without that litter of kittens-"

"Listen," she breathes sharply, "just give me a few minutes, I'll go back I promise."

Margaret was starting to feel the itch of her powers under her skin again. She didn't want to end up doing something stupid in front of Draco Malfoy and risk his father finding out about her abilities.

Draco looks taken aback for a split second before sneering in mock humour, "I'm the Prefect here, Xenakis. You don't tell me what I should do; quite the other way around. Ten more points-" He pauses abruptly, his eyes catching the sight of the blood-stained scarf tied around Margaret's hand and he squints at it. "Don't tell me you hurt yourself."