Chapter 43: Infiltration

I was probably about to reach Reina's whereabouts, suddenly, an explosion from the hall pushed over some gust over me. "What happened?" I exclaimed, as I stood froze. I tried to choose over the hall over Reina, but since going there might be pointless, I decided to go over and look for Reina hastily. "It sucks more to lose a friend!" I said, as I took a deep breath clearing my heart beat and respiration.

It didn't take me much time to see Reina. "Reina!" I shouted, she also was about to go to the hall. "Ed...?" she mumbled, as I offered my hand to her. She gladly took it, and I run on my own pace dragging her. We reached the hall. Everything was still safe, yet the banner, which had my name written on it had some damage.

"The smoke earlier surely wasn't a prank from an outsider who wishes me down" Dad said, as we siblings except for Elicia and the empire's councils stood in front of his throne. "I saw two suspicious figures, earlier when I was out looking for Reina" I mumbled. The attention caught me center. "Can you specify their looks?" Dad asked. "They were all in black, so I can't surely specify whether they're man or woman, but they came in from the outside" I said. "Is there any possibilities that someone in here or in the hall earlier is behind this?" Al-nii suspected. "Alfred-sama's perceive might be right, sire" One of the guys in the council said. He is Albert Forgan, one of the 5 council's head who specializes in the Orthorn. "But there is also a possibility that "That" person behind might be out of the empire, like in the other territory" Herd suggested. "There is a possibility, like Herdrad-sama said, your majesty" Another one of the council said, He is a proud council of Forthenor, Jim Kill. "But might it be that no one is behind all of this, and that those two are the only ones?" Theia entered. "But we cannot be too sure that they don't have any boss?" A council said. She is Werl Filla, council of Sernathe. "All of your perceive might be right or not, but the one thing we know is, it cannot be just a mere prank" Dad said. And with that one thing, the meeting was dismissed.

I entered Reina's room, where they all stayed, with dad's order for us to stay in big groups. They also had Cia in custody, with Seria-san as their guardian. "What happened?" The first thing, Forth asked. "It seems that, they will hold an investigation all over the place tomorrow, and we are ordered to still stay in one group" I said. "I see..." Reina sighed. "But, isn't it much better if we help, like the more the merrier" Kirt said. "We are just kids, it's not like we can help, more or less we'll just be nuisance" Ana said, as Cia hugged tight to her, all scared. "I agree with Ana-sama, it is not right of you to think that dangerous, Kirt-sama" Seria san said. "Then what should we do?" Gino asked. "Stay safe and healthy is the best" Seria san smiled.

"Can't do anything, huh?" I mumbled. Is there truly nothing we can do? Like, Kirt said the more the merrier. But like Ana said, we're just kids who are unreliable right now. "But..." I mumbled. I am not a kid like them, if I can't do anything. Then, I will protect them.

Like that, I didn't notice everything. I only tried to look at the side, averting my eyes to the big picture. Depicting events can be so tiring and hard sometimes. And I procrastinated to depict it. It might just be my fault. Don't you think, God?

The next day, a letter came to the palace, a letter on a blood-stained like envelope. "This is just a beginning, you are next....Memento Mori..."So written on it. "Memento Mori, remember you will die, huh...?" Al-nii mumbled. "Who do you think is this talking about?" Jim asked. "Probably, the King, or else I can't think of anyone else" Albert suspected. "But, what did it mean by "next"? Does it mean that there are more?" Werl mumbled. "More or less, we must be more attentive to our surroundings, whether they're really are targeting me is unknown to us" Dad said. "What if the target is Ed?" Al-nii mumbled. "Hmm, why do you think, sire?" Albert asked. "Well if my hypothesis is right, it all started yesterday, Ed's birthday. Everything was safe, expect Ed's banner. If they're really are targeting the king, they would have go over him, instead of the banner" Al nii said. "You are right, they could have straightly gone over me" Dad mumbled. "But there is a possibility of a big plan, so they didn't try to kill dad, right?" Theia said. "But, why did they tear the banner?" Al-nii said. "Why you say...?" Theia mumbled. "Because Ed wasn't there" He continued. "Right, Ed was out looking for that girl, right?" Herd entered. "So it's like this, they did target Ed, yet his presence was absent during their infiltration, so they tried to leave off a message by tearing apart the banner" Al-nii said. "Then, this letter is for Ed" Herd mumbled. "I am the target..." I mumbled. What is happening? Why am I being the one target? Have I gone too much far of attention? Why me, why not dad, or my siblings? Why me?

The man in the throne smirks. Scene skips to another man beside a tree, with some wire cords stuck to his back, he continued to look over the sky, without turning around. He did kinda mumble some words which I wasn't able to perceive well.