Chapter 29

(Shoto's P.O.V)

I adjusted where the student from 1-B was on my back, he was still unconscious.

"This isn't the time to stand around and talk." Shoji said. "Let's go quickly."
I nodded my head, looking at the two girls in front of us.
"Anyway, I'm just glad you're okay." Midoriya said with relief before brightening at an idea. "I know! Come with us! Right now, we're protecting Kacchan as we head back to camp."

I nodded again but was confused by the girl's confused faces.
"Ribbit? You're protecting Bakugo?" Tsu asked.
They looked at each other.
"Where is Bakugo?"

"Huh? What are you saying? Kacchan is right behind..." Midoriya started but trailed off as he turned around.
I turned to see no one behind us, just the path we were walking down, no Bakugo.

We were equally surprised at the fact of no one there, no one had let their guard down, so how could someone take them without any trouble?

"The boy you're talking about..." a voice said from above us, making us look up to see a masked figure in a yellow jacket and cane standing on a tree branch. "I took him with my magic."

He tossed a weird blue orb into the air and caught it multiple times, taunting us.
"This talent isn't someone who should be on the hero side. We'll take him to a stage where he can shine more." He said calmly.
"Give him back!" Midoriya yelled.

"Give him back? That's a strange thing to say. Bakugo doesn't belong to anyone. He's his own person, you egoist." Masked man said, a grin evident in his voice.
"Give him back!"

"Move!" I cried, rushing forward and activating my ice, sending spikes up to the branch, but he avoided them and landed higher in the tree.

"We simply want to show him that the path he's on now with its fanatical values is not the only path he can take. Kids these days are made to choose their paths based on their values."

I stared at the man, trying to make sense of what he was saying before Shoji brought me out of my thoughts.
"It's not just Bakugo! Tokoyami or (Y/n)'s not here, either!"
I looked, fear for (Y/n) dropping in my gut, then back up to the masked man.
'He snatched the three in the back noiselessly? What kind of quirk does he have?' I thought.
"To go out of your way to talk to us...You're underestimating us." I said, narrowing my eyes.

"I was originally and entertainer, you know. It's a bad habit of mine. Taking Tokoyami was an improvisation on my part." Masked man said, revealing two more orbs between his fingers. "And that (Y/n) was going to ruin the illusion of magic for me."

We all gritted our teeth as we saw the orbs, unsure what to do.
I was worried, for Bakugo, for Tokoyami, but I felt more worried for (Y/n) than the other two. He hasn't been in a villain situation yet.

"Moonfish...The man with "Blade-Tooth"...He may not look it, but he's a cutthroat on death row whose appeal was dismissed. With a violent nature that tramples that cutthroat down one-sidedly, I decided he was good, too." He then looked at the last orb. "(Y/n) hasn't done much to stand out, but I'm sure we could help him out a little."

"You bastard! Don't take them!" Midoriya yelled angrily.
"Midoriya, calm down!" I said firmly, handing the 1-B person to Uraraka. "Uraraka, take this guy."
I ran forwards and activated my ice again, a mass of spikes right to the treetops and freezing quite a lot of trees.

There was no way to escape this.

I let out a breath, feeling ice already covering my clothes and part of my face and neck.
"Sorry, tricks and running away are my only redeeming features!" The Masked Man yelled from the air, having avoided my attack. "There's no way I'd fight students who are hero candidates."